If I plug this keyboard into a USB 3.0 port on my Mac Mini, will the keyboard's USB ports then support USB 3.0 peripherals (e.g., a powered external hard drive)? (An employee at an Apple store said Yes, but she seemed uncertain.)
- Asked by David C from Menlo Park
- Dec 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (USB 3.0)
2 Answers from the Community
They were correct in the sense that USB 3 devices would work however you will not get USB 3 speeds.
- Answered by Oliver H
- Mar 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I suspect the Apple Store employee may be incorrect.
Per product description, the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad features an extended layout; an elegant, ultrathin anodized aluminum enclosure; low-profile keys; and two USB 2.0 ports.
I don't see how a USB 2.0 port can serve as a USB 3.0 connection between the Mac Mini and the external device.
Use your favorite search engine regarding: apple keyboard usb 3 connection. You will see some recent discussions on this topic.
- Answered by Michael Y from Edmond
- Dec 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
lightning to usb 3.0 cable?
- Asked by Robert S G from Ukiah
- Nov 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (lightning to usb 3.0 cable?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (0.5 m)
Can you use Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 at the same time ?
- Asked by Robert C from Sydney
- Sep 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 at the same time ?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 3TB G-DRIVE with Thund…