Speck’s SmartShell Satin case keeps your MacBook protected with its super-thin and lightweight two-piece design. The silky-smooth matte coating gives this case a great grippy feel. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin (1.5mm) hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, matte two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The Apple logo shines through the soft-touch frosted finish.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Satin Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2396
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005243
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry—and also wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
Rear bottom tabs break
I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted ab I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted about 5 weeks each time. Bummer. The look and feel of the case are as expected …
- Written by MICHAEL W from SUMMERVILLE
81 of 85 people found this useful
get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping o get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping on of the case scratched my MBP and left white marks which caused my resale value to drop by nearly 50%. If you're someone who protects your product, please do not buy any casing that snaps onto your machine. It kills it. …
- Written by Bowie L
78 of 89 people found this useful
Not as good as previous Speck cases
I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but t I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but there is serious quality problems with this one. Like the other reviewer, I too had the rear bottom tab (just next to the right hand USB port) snap. Speck needs to really take a step back and assess these quality problems, because other than the tab snapping right off, the case does not fit as snug as models they have made before. I will be returning this and getting a different case or waiting until someone makes a really good one. …
- Written by Spencer W from Vancouver
57 of 59 people found this useful
Garbage: Scratches easily and tabs break. EXTREMELY overpriced
I could hardly get this case out of the box before noticing scratches. This is my second case, because the first one literally cam I could hardly get this case out of the box before noticing scratches. This is my second case, because the first one literally came out of the box with scratches. Not one month after owning it, the tabs on the back side of the bottom case broke off. This case is garbage. I will be returning it for a full refund and making as big of a stink as possible. …
- Written by Nima A from Boulder
2 of 2 people found this useful
Nice protection for MacBook Pro 15"
I just upgraded from an old 13" to a 15" with Retina Display. I had an inCase hardshell over my old MacBook pro, and purchased the I just upgraded from an old 13" to a 15" with Retina Display. I had an inCase hardshell over my old MacBook pro, and purchased the clear Speck 15" for my new laptop.
I am very happy with the fit and the quality. I took the case out of the box in the store and placed it on the computer. It fits like a glove. Very pleased. …
- Written by Traci M from Charlotte
0 of 1 people found this useful
Aside from the fact that the 2 clips that hold the bottom part on near the display breaking off under very light use it is a nice Aside from the fact that the 2 clips that hold the bottom part on near the display breaking off under very light use it is a nice effective case. Currently have used epoxy to re-attach the clips, but are continuing to deteriorate and will need to buy a different one soon. …
- Written by Kyle N from Saskatoon
3 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Does this shell fit a 13" Mackbook Pro late 2013?
- Asked by Don G from Toronto
- Nov 5, 2013
no it doesn't fit the new macbook pro... i bought the same case from apple store, i went home and pu no it doesn't fit the new macbook pro... i bought the same case from apple store, i went home and put it on and its slightly bigger because the new mbpr is slightly thinner. i went back to apple and returned the case. …
- Answered by Ricky S from San Diego
- Nov 21, 2013
Does this also fit a mac book pro 13 inch retina display
- Asked by Vikram A from Dubai
- Dec 2, 2012
It wont. The retina display is much thinner than the normal MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Mireya R from Denver
- Feb 4, 2013
Will this fit the latest 13" retina display macbook pro, the one with the haswell chip?
- Asked by Jake J
- Nov 11, 2013
Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bot Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bottom. I haven't seen one on the older model but I may return it because its bugging me to have a slight creaking sound when I pick it up with one hand (when open) and I feel it slightly moving/detaching. It might be a good idea to keep it for the long term protection but the slight weight increase is noticeable when the Pros are so light now days. All that said, I can't imagine another brand would be better at this issue, it seems to be a function of this type of cover. …
- Answered by Chris H from Lehi
- Nov 12, 2013
How durable is this case?
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 6, 2013
After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this i After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this is NOT a durable case. I took it off for cleaning my mac, and guess what? The plastic buds that hold the case onto the mac snaps, and falls off. All corners! The middle of the case has a huge crack. The case makes the mac super heavy. And when I took it off, there was too much dust, literally stuck to the Mac. And also, this case makes the Mac overheat countlessly whenever I hold it on my lap. It is blisteringly hot to the touch. As soon as I took the case off, my battery performed normally, No more warnings about the battery overheating. Do NOT get this product! …
- Answered by Thomas D from Preston
- Jul 20, 2013
can you see the apple logo glowing well inside of the case or is it a dim light? If so, what color is the apple logo with the case on it?
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 6, 2013
Yes you can see the logo, it is of medium brightness and its an off white colour
- Answered by Lauren K from Gowanstown
- Jul 10, 2013