EyeTV HD is a full-featured DVR for your Mac that captures television from your cable or satellite receiver and delivers it live to your Mac in full HD. It gives you full access to all the content in your premium channel package by connecting your Mac directly to your cable or satellite receiver. It includes an infrared remote and channel changer cable ("IR blaster") for automatic control of the receiver.
Unique dual-format capture mode
Record in the iPad and iPhone formats at the same time with dual-format capture mode. It supports super-fast exports to iTunes from EyeTV, and facilitates the streaming of live and recorded TV to an iPhone or iPad using the optional EyeTV app.
Simply connect EyeTV HD to the outputs of your cable or satellite receiver with the included component cables, and to your computer via USB. Then position the included infrared channel changer cable nearby. The EyeTV software setup assistant takes you through a simple configuration process and in just a few minutes you'll be enjoying all your premium content.
Superb quality digital TV recordings
Record in the pristine H.264 format for a crystal-clear, high-definition digital picture. It delivers beautiful image quality and a superb compression ratio, which produces smaller file size when compared to MPEG-2 recordings. H.264 can match the best possible MPEG-2 quality at up to half the data rate.
EyeTV 3 software
This award-winning TV software for Mac gives you a remarkable range of capabilities. You can watch, pause, and rewind live TV on your Mac, as well as search the Program Guide using multiple criteria. You're also free to record one show or the entire season of a TV series.
Capture HD and SD video from a camcorder or VCR
You get component inputs for HD sources, as well as S-video and composite inputs for standard definition sources. Simply connect the video source to your computer using the included breakout cable or video cable, then watch and even record the picture on your computer.
- Capture premium television content in full HD from cable and satellite receivers
- Record in pristine H.264 format for a crystal clear digital picture
- Unique dual-format capture mode for fast playback on an iPhone and iPad
- Infrared remote and channel changer cable (IR blaster) for automatic control of the receiver
- Watch, pause, and rewind live TV on your Mac
- Search the Program Guide using multiple criteria
- Record one show or the entire season of a TV series
- Edit unwanted content and create clips from your recordings
- Export recordings to iTunes automatically for playback on an iPhone or iPad
- Share recordings with other Macs on your network
- Stream live or recorded TV to an iPhone with the optional EyeTV app
- EyeTV 3 includes one year of free TV Guide data (with optional renewal for US$19.95 per year)
Did you notice?You can connect your Mac directly to your cable or satellite receiver for complete access to all your premium channel programs.
Apple Recommends ForWatching, recording and editing television content in full HD on your Mac from cable and satellite.
What's in the Box?
- Elgato EyeTV HD recorder
- EyeTV 3 TV software for Mac (CD-ROM)
- Infrared remote control with battery pack
- EyeTV infrared channel changer
- USB cable (6 ft./1.83 m)
- Component video cable (6 ft./1.83 m)
- Stereo audio cables (6 ft./1.83 m)
- Breakout cable for composite and S-Video inputs
- PDF product manual (CD-ROM)
- Quick start guide
- Connections: RCA Plug, Component, S-Video, Composite
- Height: 1.6 in./4.0 cm
- Width: 4.9 in./12.5 cm
- Weight: 8.47 oz./240.0 g
- Length: 4.9 in./12.5 cm
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later (Recommended: v10.6.2 or later with all software and security updates installed)
- 2.26GHz or faster Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- 2GB of RAM
- Built-in USB 2.0 port
- Cable or satellite receiver with analog video and audio outputs (component output required for HD); Internet connection required to download Program Guide data
- Mfr. Part Number: 10021040
- UPC or EAN No.: 426019539032
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One-year limited (For details, please visit elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/buy/terms.en.html.)
Ratings & Reviews
Easy to use and super quality
I retired an old TiVo and replaced it with a Mac Mini and this. What an upgrade!
I use it with a Comcast cable box. Can't belie I retired an old TiVo and replaced it with a Mac Mini and this. What an upgrade!
I use it with a Comcast cable box. Can't believe how well it works. Now I can record movies from my HD channels and the EyeTV transfers them automatically to iTunes for my iPad. Transferring stuff from the TiVo was always a huge pain.
I was a little worried what the quality would be like through a non-digital connection, but I'm very pleased. It looks great, even on a 52" TV. …
- Written by Tech H
114 of 122 people found this useful
I have Comcast (Xfinity) HD, and I wanted to watch HD programs on our Mac for a long time. I am glad to find EyeTV HD. I hooked up I have Comcast (Xfinity) HD, and I wanted to watch HD programs on our Mac for a long time. I am glad to find EyeTV HD. I hooked up EyeTV HD to our older white MacBook. The setup was simple. I just followed EyeTV Setup Assistant, and it was ready to go. Now I can watch live or record any SD or HD programs on all TV stations I have with Comcost. HD programs show up very nicely. EyeTV is very easy to use -- much better than Comcast DVR. As an added bonus, I can watch live or recorded TV programs from another Mac in the house or from iPhone or iPad away from home. …
- Written by Mar M
78 of 81 people found this useful
Super and Works Proberly
I bought this for ripping my tv program record on my bell pvr to my computer and all works perfectly
- Written by Jean-Louis M from Drummondville
74 of 83 people found this useful
Had for over a year
I purchased to use with the late 2012 model 27" iMac which shipped Feb of 2013. When installed I was using U-Verse. Installation w I purchased to use with the late 2012 model 27" iMac which shipped Feb of 2013. When installed I was using U-Verse. Installation went smooth, up and running within a half hour. Good picture quality, the only flaw was periodic picture resets which briefly interrupted the broadcast before self correcting. Recording into iTunes worked as advertised but quality (as expected) is better if purchased from iTunes. I compared Game of Thrones BIG difference but still good. Recently I switched to Direct TV and the picture reset issue seems to be gone, also picture quality has improved to the point I no longer use my 92" home theatre for movies as the 27" iMac provides a better quality picture. This device is worth the money. …
- Written by Oren B from Dawsonville
I can say that this unit disappoints more than it excites
I have had Elgato EyeTV HD for a year now an I can say that this unit disappoints more than it excites especially at its $200 pric I have had Elgato EyeTV HD for a year now an I can say that this unit disappoints more than it excites especially at its $200 price point. In short I would not recommend this unit. A few things that bug me about this unit, the driver doesn’t play well as my iMac comes out of sleep/hibernation, and randomly the unit will stop working requiring a reseat of the USB plug on my iMac. The IR blaster works but it dose not constantly function all of the time requiring me to manually change my Comcast HD box so with that problem the prescheduling of recording on more than one channel is not reliable. another thing that is annoying the software dose not have the ability to just type in a change number on virtual keypad instead you need to scroll endlessly from channel 2 to channel 700. I will say the picture is very good and software adapts well between regular TV to HD TV. Its unfortunate that there is not more competition for this type of device like on Windows. …
- Written by David O from Foster City
2 of 2 people found this useful
Perfect addition to my desktop
Was going to buy an HDTV for my study, but got the EyeTV HD for Christmas and it proved to be the perfect solution. With access to Was going to buy an HDTV for my study, but got the EyeTV HD for Christmas and it proved to be the perfect solution. With access to all my Cable TV offerings, I can work on my computer and watch/listen to live sporting events or news, as I chose... right on my iMac's 27" screen. And... setting it up was so easy and seamless. Recording is a bonus. …
- Written by Dave N from Spring Hill
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
The specs only mention producing iTunes files, but does this device and software produce files that can be played back in Quicktime? VLC? Burn to DVD?
- Asked by Andrew G from Mississauga
- Dec 9, 2013
QuickTime and iTunes are not mutually exclusive. See Apple Article HT3775 for Media formats supporte QuickTime and iTunes are not mutually exclusive. See Apple Article HT3775 for Media formats supported by QuickTime Player. Apple Article HT2729 on iTunes Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos says that it supports "QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player". The EyeTV 3 software's specific export formats are:
There is certainly an intersection of some of those formats with what VLC handles. But VLC is hardly the only available software out there: there is also MPEG Streamclip, among others. Whereas DVDs are much more complex than CDs were, you need DVD production software to create a DVD that can meaningfully be used. …
- Answered by Richard S from Framingham
- Dec 11, 2013
can you record your xbox 360 gameplay with it
- Asked by Jackie C
- Jun 19, 2010
Yes, it records full HD video from any game console that has an output to component or via the other Yes, it records full HD video from any game console that has an output to component or via the other available methods. …
- Answered by Jordan S from New York
- Jul 26, 2010
do i still need my Apple TV box or does this replace it on my tv?
- Asked by T J J from Honolulu
- Mar 18, 2013
No, this unit has NONE of the features of your Apple TV. The EyeTV is a video RECORDING device, wher No, this unit has NONE of the features of your Apple TV. The EyeTV is a video RECORDING device, whereas the Apple TV is a video PLAYBACK device.
You want to have both. Use the EyeTV to record HD video and save it in your iTunes video library, and use the AppleTV to play it back on your HDTV. …
- Answered by Julian B from Baie-d'urfe
- May 29, 2013
Can you play a DVD on your Mac and then record it to this device and then play back on an iPad?
- Asked by Roslyn P from Bowser
- Aug 15, 2013
I have found the answer to my own question and that is I have used the application MacX DVD Ripper a I have found the answer to my own question and that is I have used the application MacX DVD Ripper and converted the DVVD format for an iPad and then transferred the files over to my iPad through iTunes. Works great! …
- Answered by Roslyn P from Bowser
- Dec 2, 2013
When using theEye TV,hooked to the DVR,is the DVR able to be watching another channel than what my MAC is watching
- Asked by David M. H from Evansville
- Jul 18, 2011
Does it support Mac Pro's with dual Xeon processors?
- Asked by Matthew B from Huntington
- Feb 26, 2013
The System Requirements answers your question. The EyeTV software runs on any modern Macintosh, and The System Requirements answers your question. The EyeTV software runs on any modern Macintosh, and connects to the EyeTV HD box via a USB cable. …
- Answered by Richard S from Framingham
- Dec 1, 2013