Returns & Refunds
Apple wants you to be thrilled with your new purchase. However, if you need to return an item, we're here to help.
U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy
Standard Return Policy
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either through the Apple Online Store or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
- Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.
There are some items, however, that are ineligible for return, including:
- Opened software*
- Electronic Software Downloads
- Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
- Apple Store Gift Cards
- Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)
- Apple Print Products
*You can return software, provided that it has not been installed on any computer. Software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
How to Return An Item
Ship your item back to Apple
To ship your return item(s) to Apple, sign in to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password.
After you sign in, you will see the items on your most recent order. Locate the item you want to return and click the Return Items link. On the next page, select the item(s) you would like to return and click the Continue button.
Next, verify the return item(s) and the return address on your pre-paid return label. Once you have verified your return details, click the Print Now button to print your pre-paid label and packing slip. Affix the pre-paid label to the outside of your return box. If you have multiple items to return, you may pack them in a single box with the packing slip. We recommend using the original packaging if you are returning a computer.
You can either schedule a pick up with the carrier or drop off the package at a United States Postal Service (USPS) location. To schedule a pick up or find locations visit USPS.com.
Bring your item to an Apple Store
You can always return the item(s) to any U.S. Apple Retail Store. An Apple Specialist will assist you with your return. Your refund will be processed at that time. To locate an Apple Store in your area, please refer to the Apple Retail Store Locator.
Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store.
Once we receive your item(s), a refund is initiated immediately. If you canceled a pickup item, and you were billed for it, we initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request. The way your refund is processed depends on your original payment method:
- If you paid by credit or debit card, refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five business days of receipt of the returned item. Please contact the card-issuing bank with questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.
- Apple Store Gift Card refunds for products purchased from the Apple Online Store will be provided via an Apple Store Gift Card by Email within 3 business days. If you’d like to receive an Apple Store Gift Card by Mail, please allow up to eight business days to receive your refund via United States Postal Service (USPS). If you are returning an item at an Apple Retail Store, you will receive a new Apple Store Gift Card.
- If you paid with a money order, cashier’s check or other cash equivalent, you will be refunded in the form of a check from Apple, which will be mailed to your billing address. Please allow about 10 days to receive your check from the time we receive you return.
Exchange an item
If you purchased your item from Apple in the U.S., you can take it to any U.S. Apple Retail Store for an exchange. Item exchanges are, of course, subject to in-store product availability. It's a good idea to check in-stock availability by calling the Apple Retail Store, or by viewing the product on the Apple Online Store to see if the item is available for pick up locally. Personalized items and custom-configured Macs may not be eligible for exchange at an Apple Retail Store.
Items ordered on the U.S. Apple Online Store that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to any U.S. Apple Retail Store, or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.
For more information, please read the U.S. Apple Sales and Refunds Policy.