Questions & Answers for G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mini High-Speed Portable Hard Drive
10 Questions + 11 Answers
10 Questions from the Community
Is there a way to make the G-Drive Mini power-down on sleep when connected via Firewire to a mac running Mavericks?
The drive stays permanently on and the drive has a bright white LED. Ideally the drive should sleep/power-down when the Mac sleeps.
1. What settings need to be changed to ensure the G-Drive mini powers down?
2. Does it harm the G-Drive mini to be permanently on?
3. If a problem with Mavericks, will the problem persist in Yosemite?
I contacted G-Technology and they confirmed this is a serious problem with this drive if connected via Firewire as the current OS does power-down the drive, so it stays permanently on which is not something the drive was designed for. They recommend you unmount and switch off the unit daily. If so there are better and cheaper drives out there.
Can the new 21” iMac’s USB power it?
I have checked G-Technology’s website, There is a note:
“** NOTE: G-DRIVE mini is bus powered when attached to a 6 or 9-pin FireWire port. The USB port on some computers may not supply enough power to reliably operate G-DRIVE mini systems larger than 320 GB. An optional power supply is available for use with G-DRIVE mini if your system does not have a FireWire port or your USB port does not provide adequate power.”
I want to ensure that the new 21” iMac’s USB port have enough power to use this drive without using the power cord. I want to use it for Time Machine. I hate power cord, i want less cable on my desktop.
- Asked by Chung-pui K
- Dec 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new 21” iMac’s USB power it?)
Not a problem!
The new iMacs feature USB 3.0, which will provide more-than-enough power for the drive. Because the drive is bus-powered, you will not require an external power source!
- Answered by Teij S from Chilliwack
- Mar 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the new 21” iMac’s USB power it?)
does this one have a three year factory warranty
because i found the other product"G-Technology 2TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive" got a 3yr factory warranty, so i wonder if this one got the same warranty
- Asked by Yunshui Z from London
- Nov 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (does this one have a three year factory warranty)
Told that you should not have Time Machine and your clone on the same physical disk-should be on different drives in case of a drive failure -thoughts
- Asked by Donald Z from Las Vegas
- Apr 6, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Told that you should not have Time Machine and your clone on the same physical disk-should be on different drives in case of a drive failure -thoughts)
That makes sense. What I do is, I put both on the same drive but I have duplicates, that is I have two drives which contain almost the same information: I rotate them, one day I back up to drive A, the next day to drive B.
I also, naturally, keep the drives in separate locations.
Hope this helps.
transfer dv tape by firewire to Mac
I have digital video cassettes and wondered if I can transfer them to my Mac via Firewire and store them on my hard drive? Thank you
- Asked by David B
- Feb 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (transfer dv tape by firewire to Mac)
Can two of these be linked together?
I already have one of these (the 500GB model), and it is not quite enough space for what I need. I noticed that there was two Firewire ports on the back. Does this mean that I could plug it into another drive of the same kind (if I buy it) and they will both appear on my desktop? I only have one Firewire port on my MacBook Pro.
- Asked by Jardin L
- Jun 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can two of these be linked together?)
Does this model have the new Hitachi Travelstar drive inside?
- Asked by Gerald K from Kelowna
- Jan 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this model have the new Hitachi Travelstar drive inside?)
Can you use this with iTunes?
- Asked by Tim R from Kew
- Apr 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this with iTunes?)
Tim, can you be more specific. What do you want to use with iTunes?
- Answered by Michael B from Fpo
- Apr 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you use this with iTunes?)
can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter
- Asked by Stuart D from Rolling Hills Estates
- Mar 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter)
Yes, I have a daisy chain of several drives that are FireWire on the Thunderbolt to FireWire converter cable. I understand the drives need to be AC powered (plugged in). The Thunderbolt port can not power the Drives as I have them set up. But, it is very fast. You will enjoy the true Firewire 800 speed.
- Answered by Mark C from Austin
- May 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter)