Questions & Answers for Bowers & Wilkins A7 AirPlay Wireless Music System
29 Questions from the Community
iTunes Airplay multiple streaming limit?
I want to stream music from iTunes on iMac to one Apple TV, and two other receivers. I can only get one Apple TV and one other receiver to be recognized at any one time. Is this a limit built into iTunes?
- Asked by Timothy G from Edina
- Nov 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (iTunes Airplay multiple streaming limit?)
Does the Wi-Fi quality differ from country to country?
I'm currently based in Sweden, and have been thinking about forking out for an A7. It seems that it's getting great all-round reviews in the UK, but dreadful reviews in the US. The issue's not about the sound (which seems unanimously superb), but the connection. It appears that it cuts out so often for US customers that many consider it 'worthless'. Any thoughts on this?
- Asked by Mark B
- Dec 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Wi-Fi quality differ from country to country?)
What is the difference between the B&W A7 and the Zeppelin Air from a sound quality point of view?
I am looking for the one with the best audio quality.
- Asked by Andrea F from Brooklyn
- Nov 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between the B&W A7 and the Zeppelin Air from a sound quality point of view?)
I've had both and enjoyed the Zeppelin, but replaced it with the A7. I wish I had taken the time to listen to them side by side, but I difference was still clear when I received the A7. I don't have the vocabulary of the audiophiles, so I'll do the best I can. There's absolutely no distortion with the A7 even at full volume whereas the Zeppelin distorted ever so slightly. I was also able to enjoy a more spacious sound from the A7 and more pronounced bass. I'd guess it's due to the new design. As I'm writing this review, I listening to a Tracy Chappman track and she sounds lie she's sitting in the room with me. Everything is so unbelievably clear. I warned you my vocab was less than par...Anyways, I hope this helps:)
- Answered by Edward R from Damascus
- Nov 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between the B&W A7 and the Zeppelin Air from a sound quality point of view?)
how do i adjust the base on my bw speakers
- Asked by Bernard F
- Oct 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i adjust the base on my bw speakers)
I don't think there is a better Airplay speaker than the A7 even the Bang & bang Olufsen A8 is hard to compare, although it also sounds fantastic. I don't think Bose products are on the level of B&W or B&O personally.
On another note I think the quality of Airplay is better than Bluetooth in general but Bluetooth is more widely compatible.
- Answered by John M from Ypsilanti
- Aug 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which speaker is the better. The Bose Sound Dock 10 with Bluetooth or the B&W A7 Airplay?)
Can the audio played from speaker when I stream the video is streamed to TV using Apple TV?
I am thinking if i were to stream a video from ipad to my home TV.... will the audio be played by the B&W speaker?
Can I configure the audio to play from the B&W speaker instead of TV speaker?
- Asked by Aloysius L
- Jun 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the audio played from speaker when I stream the video is streamed to TV using Apple TV?)
What is the difference between the Bowers & Wilkins A5 and the A7
- Asked by Guenter R from San Jose
- Feb 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between the Bowers & Wilkins A5 and the A7)
I originally purchased the A5 which sounded very good...but...at high volumes would distort slightly. The A7 is a beast! You can crank it up and it remains clear and precise. The separate sub speaker helps prevent the bass from getting muddled as you raise it to high volumes. I have a high end hifi set up and although it doesn't compare to that...it is still excellent for a single box speaker and the added convenience of being able to play your music via wifi without any cables is very slick. The Zeppelin Air was also very good but the odd shape makes it a little difficult to place. The A7 is by far the best airplay speak available!
- Answered by Dr. K from Richmond Hill
- Mar 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between the Bowers & Wilkins A5 and the A7)
You can add more speakers but they will be playing the same source material. Unlike the Sonos however (which doesn't use AirPlay) AirPlay is not as stable and you will at some stage, and to varying degrees, experience dropout. It also makes no difference how good your router is or whether you connect the A5/A7 by ethernet - while ever the control component is based on AirPlay you will get dropout. It was something I could not live with despite the 5-star quality of sound - I ended up with Sonos and their rock solid network protocol.
- Answered by Christian W
- Jun 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is bowers air play like sonos where you can connect the A5 and A7 to play at the same time?)
Power consumption when in sleep mode
Does anyone know how much power the A7 consumes when in sleep mode? Not standby mode.
- Asked by Morten B
- Jun 10, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Power consumption when in sleep mode)
if you mean the iPod Touch 5th generation, the answer is "YES IT SURE DOES" with iOS7, I mainly use the iPod Touch 5G with my A7
- Answered by John F
- Dec 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The compatibility for B & W's A7 doesn't list the 5th generation iPod, is it compatible?)
It is one unit, however, due to it's size, the tweeters are on opposite sides - creating stereo-like sound and are also acoustically designed for larger rooms.
- Answered by Jonathan G from Del Rey Oaks
- Feb 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it 2 speakers?)
Is the B&W A7 speaker multi-voltage (100-240V)?
- Asked by Johnnie W from Apo
- Nov 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the B&W A7 speaker multi-voltage (100-240V)?)
- Answered by Sriram I from 港区
- Nov 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the B&W A7 speaker multi-voltage (100-240V)?)
Yes you can. You would need a 3.5mm stereo audio cable Male to 3.5mm stereo audio cable Male.
I have a Panasonic Plasma TV which is a few years old so I connected one end of the audio cable to headphone input of the TV and the other to A7 audio output. In the TV sound settings, don't forget to put up the headphone speaker volume to the max.
- Answered by Sougata C from Rhodes
- Dec 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you hook the A7 up to the television for audio sound?)
Can someone please confirm if this supports 802.11n (2.4Ghz only [802.11bn]) or 802.11g? tl;dr, is it 802.11n?
I know this 2.4Ghz only, but is it 802.11bn or 802.11g, the answer determines how much of an impact it'll have on a well implement wireless network.
- Asked by Anthony N from Austin
- Nov 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can someone please confirm if this supports 802.11n (2.4Ghz only [802.11bn]) or 802.11g? tl;dr, is it 802.11n?)
To use your Wireless Music Systems AirPlay feature with a wireless N router, ensure the router is broadcasting using a wireless G (802.11g) signal, or a mixed variant including wireless G. Most routers will have this enabled automatically.
Wireless Music Systems are not compatible with Wireless N (802.11n).
This is cut and pasted, directly from Bowers & Wilkins' website (support section)
I hope this helps.
We've just had our broadband upgraded to Virgin Media which uses 802.11n but the router also supports 802.11g and the A7 is working just fine.
The A7, and B&W's Zeppelin Air, has an input for an optical input. Even the latest, slim PS3 has an optical output. You just need a digital audio (TOSLINK) cable to run between them. Apple sells one from Belkin for £15.
Your TV might also have a digital audio output, in which case you can send audio from its built-in TV receiver and other connected devices to the A7.
The less expensive (£400) A5 speaker doesn't have an optical input.
- Answered by Alan S
- Feb 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (any other connection? is it only connect with airplay? is possible connect with PS3?)
Stereo sound is always best achieved with stereo speakers and surround sound is best achieved with a surround sound set up. If you're a stickler for the above, this may not be for you. It does, however, (I.M.H.O.) provide a totally excellent solution to wireless playing of iTunes, in a compact form.
- Answered by John F
- Nov 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is B&W A7 stereo sound , being a single speaker ? and does it have surround effect ?)
Is Apple TV needed to operate the B&W A7 music wireless system.
- Asked by Peter L from Fort Lauderdale
- Jan 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Apple TV needed to operate the B&W A7 music wireless system.)
how does this connect to network? Is it same way like we connect our iPad to a Wifi network? Also how does one stream the music to this speaker ?
can i use it with my new Mac and spotify?
free edition of spotify
- Asked by Paul D
- Dec 21, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use it with my new Mac and spotify?)
I have the premium edition of Spotify on my iPad, and it works flawlessly over AirPlay to my Apple TV - I wouldn't see why it'd be any different for the A7 (or any other AirPlay-enabled device).
- Answered by Christian P from Surprise
- Jan 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use it with my new Mac and spotify?)
Is the B&W A7 speaker suitable for outdoor or marine use?
- Asked by Ron J from Farmington Hills
- Jun 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the B&W A7 speaker suitable for outdoor or marine use?)
It sounds great regardless of where its at but it wouldn't hold up against heavy amounts of dust or any kind of liquid.
- Answered by John M from Ypsilanti
- Aug 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the B&W A7 speaker suitable for outdoor or marine use?)