Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?
I have a Macbook Air with only one Thunderbolt port which is currently used for an external Thunderbolt hard drive. Can I connect this adapter to the Thunderbolt port on my external hard drive to have a wired internet connection at the end of the daisy-chain?
- Asked by Mark W from San Francisco
- Jan 25, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?)
I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?
I understand the speed limitations of ethernet versus Thunderbolt (1GBs vs 10GBs) but my understanding is that the speed that information is acquired/written is based on the speed of the disk itself (i.e. 7200 rpm) or protocol of the drive SATA I/II/II (1.5GBs/3GBs/6GBs).
If I could hook up the NAS drive to Thunderbolt, the performance would be better than my Firewire 800, although marginally, but the price of creating a RAID drive would be fairly inexpensive as diskless NAS is significantly more cost effective than FW800 or Thunderbolt ... (and Thunderbolt only really makes sense with SSD). My real limitation is that I only have USB 2.0 ... or Firewire 800.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
- Asked by Johannes M from Toronto
- Oct 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?)
Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?
I'm wondering if my Macbook Pro(Late 2012) has the capability, and if so how to adjust the network settings to cater the needs of a Sonos Bridge to emit its own wireless network so I can play my Sonos speakers from a wireless network from a hotel. ( I won't have access to a hardline ethernet port or router ) I'm going on vacation and am hoping to bring my speaker to have some tunes with in Mexico. If my computer is capable of supporting the right internet accessibility to the bridge I will most definitely be buying this thunderbolt to ethernet adapter to connect the Bridge and thus connect all my Sonos speakers. I'm at a loss and not sure how to understand and be sure my network settings can receive a wireless signal and create an output from my computer to the bridge, or if this adapter is only for inputting a hardline ethernet internet cord for my macbook. Boils down to an input/output question with wireless internet network capabilities. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated as my trip is in three weeks time! Thanks again. - Rob
- Asked by Robert W from Tonka Bay
- Mar 6, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?)
Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?
If I connect the Mac to a thunderbolt equipped hard drive and then connect the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter to the hard drive, is it a security risk?
ie. is the hard drive exposed to internet attacks before they reach the Mac?
- Asked by Gregory A
- Nov 4, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?)
is there a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter available ?
I have an iMac 21' which I brought in late 2013. Is there someway I can use it as a extended display for my non mac laptop using a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter ? Is such a thing available to start with?
- Asked by Vineeth J from Kollam
- Aug 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter available ?)
I've purchased a LaCie Thunderbolt Series to store media files and hook it up to either the USB port on a WDTV or Apple TV - what adapters can I use?
Can I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to add a 2nd net port to my Mini? I want a dedicated line to a storage server plus independent intranet.
I have a RAID server that provides network storage. The bulk of my big file transfers are to the Mac Mini I'm using as a server. I'd like to keep those transfers from using bandwidth on the rest of my network, and I can live with my other computers accessing the RAID server via the Mini. I'd like the Mini to be able to talk simultaneously on both networks at close to full speed. I've seen other adapters that do this, but they cost hundreds of dollars. Will the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter meet my goal?
- Asked by Stuart S from Houston
- Nov 17, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to add a 2nd net port to my Mini? I want a dedicated line to a storage server plus independent intranet.)
Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?
Context of question: a hotel room anywhere where wifi is available along with a rj-45 internet source.
Hotel Wifi is unreliable, usually costs extra $$, is slower, and may have to be re-initiated at each connection time, in other words a big hassle; plus, like clockwork, it bogs down at peak use in the time zone you are in.
Users are two Mac Air and iPhone users.
The question is: from the single hotel rj-45 cable how do you hardwire the two Mac and establish a mifi for the two iphones, using existing Apple or Apple-compatible products?
Notes: I see 2 to 1 Cat 6 splitters available; I do not see Thunderbolt splitters; I see Airport Express has two ethernet ports, plus a usb port...
- Asked by Jacques C from Riverside
- Jul 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?)
why is thunderbolt adapter hot?
I use my Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter to connect to the internet. With in 15 minutes, the adapter is noticeably warm. I cannot tie this to any given activity, such as a prolonged download/upload, to video watching, or updates.
- Asked by Courtney N from Santa Clara
- Apr 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (why is thunderbolt adapter hot?)
how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?
There are lots of more detailed questions about using this adaptor to connect to other computers and to gaming devices. My question is more basic.
My USB ethernet adaptor works fine on my Macbook Air, but I cannot get the thunderbolt adaptor to work. Thanks.
- Asked by William M from Saint Petersburg
- Jun 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?)
Can Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter be downstream connected to any Thunderbolt peripheral so Ethernet is available on connect to Thunderbolt accessory
This would allow a simple dock configuration. Use WiFi while in the field but connect to Thunderbolt Display or peripheral and get direct Ethernet wired connection. This would save the second Thunderbolt port for other hardware connections such as Pro Video edit/control equipment. If such a connection would work with the adapter it would be nice to be able to control it with granularity.
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
firewire 800 to to thunderbolt?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- Jun 19, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?)
Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?
- Asked by Richard G from Austin
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?)