Similar questions from the community
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.
How do I use Airport express in a hotel that only has an ethernet connection and which needs me to log on to pay for the service.
Sometimes when I go to a hotel they only have an ethernet cabel and then you have to log on and pay for the internet service. Just to be clear ... if I plug the ethernet plug into the airport express does that stream the connection to my mac or ios device for me to log on and pay.
No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?
My wife and I live in a very rural area without internet. We have a mobile share plan (with tethering) for out Iphone 4s'. I want to setup a wireless speaker network to play my itunes music around the house. Will the airport express allow this?
If I understand correctly, I will need to purchase multiple airport expresses. Let's say, 4 total, 1 for each room I want speakers in and one connected to my PC with my Itunes library? I connect each airport to a set of speakers in said rooms and I can control the itunes library from my iphone via an app from anywhere in the house, and it's all completed wireless save the connections from airport ex to speakers and pc.
please help me make sure this is clear before I go and spend $400 bucks on these pups.
- Asked by Susan M from Monroe
- Jan 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?
I want to create a wireless network in my home for my apple devices, but do not want to connect them to the internet (at this stage). Will AirPort Express allow me to stream music & video held on my iMac on my TV via AppleTV?
- Asked by Tom B from Adelaide
- Feb 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?)
can i stream audio from the internet to my airport express?
Would love it if i can stream audio from my internet sites, i.e. you tube, vimeo, radio internet. to my Airport express speakers.
I have the last generation Airport, where I cannot stream from net.
However, I phones can...
Does this one do it?
- Asked by Witty J A from Pacoima
- Nov 28, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can i stream audio from the internet to my airport express?)
do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work
I'm thinking of buying a airport express to wirelessly stream music to my speakers but i was wondering if you need to have the airport extreme as well to make it work. thanks
- Asked by James H from Nedlands
- Apr 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work)
Will the Airport Express amplify my speakers?
I have in wall/ceiling speakers in my home. If I hook up the Airport will the Airport express amplify them when I stream music from my ipod or iphone? If not, what would you suggest?
- Asked by Kris S from Chubbuck
- Aug 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express amplify my speakers?)
No answers yet
No Internet network in our RV?
Can we set up a network in our RV, with a airport express and AppleTV? We will not have internet access at the campground, but want to use Airplay from our iOS devices. Is this possible without an Internet connection?
- Asked by Jason C from Hebron
- Mar 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No Internet network in our RV?)
No answers yet
Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?
I already have a wireless router, and wired printer. I want to extend my wireless range, and I also want to be able to turn my wired printer into a wireless one, along with my wired speakers into wireless speakers. Is this possible?
- Asked by Xavier S from Washington
- Oct 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?)
Can the Airport Express be connected to a Bose Wave radio to heard the music from my iPhone?
My intention is to stream the music in my I-Mac or I-Phone to my Bose Wave radio which has an input stereo mini audio jack using the Airport Express. Will it be possible? Which audio cable should I buy? Thanks a lot for your help.
- Asked by Fernando D from Weston
- Aug 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express be connected to a Bose Wave radio to heard the music from my iPhone?)
can I connect the airport express to any cable modem ?
pls answer I need to know
- Asked by Jayden D from Waipahu
- Jul 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect the airport express to any cable modem ?)
Does Airport Express support the new TVs which have built in WiFi for streaming content such as Netflix?
I have a New Sony TV which has built in WiFi. Does the Airport extreme support streaming with this TV.
Have an older Airport Extreme, one band, 2ghz and it does not stream fast enough. Keeps loosing connection, has to stop and load the content.
Want to purchase a new Airport with 2 & 5 ghz speeds and dual bands, but only if it supports fast steamless streaming.
- Asked by Kathleen K from Charlevoix
- Dec 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Express support the new TVs which have built in WiFi for streaming content such as Netflix?)
Can I plug an ethernet-only wired device into an Airport Express so it can connect to my network?
I have a Cisco IP telephone that requires a wired Ethernet connection. I need to install it away from my primary Airport Extreme router. Can I use the Express to serve as a wired to wireless bridge? Thanks!
- Asked by D Gavin G from Seattle
- Aug 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug an ethernet-only wired device into an Airport Express so it can connect to my network?)
I have a wireless broadband internet connection, can I use Airport Express to connect my iPad to the web with this kind of internet connection?
- Asked by Barrie C from Blackheath
- Jul 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a wireless broadband internet connection, can I use Airport Express to connect my iPad to the web with this kind of internet connection?)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Nov 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
What size is the audio connector on airport express
What cable do I need to connect to airport express audio out to the RCA phono connection on HiFi input. can you tell me the size of the audio out connection.
- Asked by Gregory S
- Dec 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What size is the audio connector on airport express)
connect with airplay or airport express (6) speakers connected by wires to a remote location. all speakers are ceiling mounted housed in 6 small room
WIll this work when I connect to a MacBook Air? or will I still need a seperate receiver. I'm starting a small business quickly, and my space is small, 1,200 sq ft. Spa setting, where music should sound crisp without crackling when we play classical and such. What should I do?
- Asked by Pauliina G from Salt Lake City
- Mar 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (connect with airplay or airport express (6) speakers connected by wires to a remote location. all speakers are ceiling mounted housed in 6 small room)
Does airport express have digital input?
Does the airport express have a digital input as well as analogue input? I want to connect to my digital surround sound system with optical cable, is this possible with airport express or will i need to buy apple tv unit? Cheers guys
- Asked by James D
- Jun 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does airport express have digital input?)
Can my Xbox connect to the airport express
- Asked by Stephen B from Bakersfield
- Aug 21, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can my Xbox connect to the airport express)
No answers yet