Similar questions from the community
Can the USB port be used for an older iMac computer running 10.4.11 and wifi be used for a laptop running the current OSX?
- Asked by Paul M from San Carlos
- Jul 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the USB port be used for an older iMac computer running 10.4.11 and wifi be used for a laptop running the current OSX?)
When using the express as a WiFi extension from the Extreme base station. Can Ethernet port be used?
With a baby on the way I have searched for a video baby monitor that will work best with all my iOS devices. The iBaby video monitor seemed the best fit. It needs to be hardwired directly into a modem in order for it to broadcast the video signal over WiFi. To avoid running Ethernet into the room I would prefer to use the Express to extend the WiFi from my Airport Extreme base station. But will then need to use the Express Ethernet wired connection for the monitor. Is this possible?
- Asked by Aaron B from Surprise
- Oct 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (When using the express as a WiFi extension from the Extreme base station. Can Ethernet port be used?)
Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?
I have a cable modem with a single Ethernet port, which can be used to connect it to either a computer or a WiFi router, such as the AirPort Express. Thus if the modem is connected to a wireless router and an Ethernet connection to a computer is also desired, the latter must be connected to the Ethernet LAN port on the wireless router, which passes through the Ethernet WAN connection from the modem. I want to be able to turn off the wireless router when I don't need WiFi, but still have the computer connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Some wireless routers pass the connection from their Ethernet WAN port (connection from a modem) through to the Ethernet LAN port even when the device is itself not running. Is this true of the AirPort Express?
- Asked by Andrew M from Santa Fe
- Dec 8, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?)
Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?
I have an HP printer that is not AirPrint capable. The printer does have wireless capability as I can print using my laptop PC but not my iPad or iPhone. If I hook it up to the USB port on the AirPort Express will I be able to print from my iPad or iPhones?
- Asked by Adrian K from Spartanburg
- Jul 19, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will having a printer in the USB port of the AirPort Express allow me to print?)
can airport express run a hard drive?
Can I plug a hard drive into the Airport Express's USB port and access it wirelessly?
- Asked by Andy H from Kutztown
- Oct 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can airport express run a hard drive?)
Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?
I am looking to set up airplay to my MM1 speakers using the USB connection to the airport express, is this feasible?
- Asked by Adrian B
- Nov 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?)
Can the USB port be used to send an audio signal?
For example, I'm thinking about purchasing the B & W MM-1 speaker system. The speakers have there own 9-volt power supply. They get their signal from USB. Can I plug them into the USB and make them function? I know there's a 3.5mm jack, however, I'd prefer to use USB.
- Asked by Jason S from Barrie
- Jul 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the USB port be used to send an audio signal?)
Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
Can this be used in my schools common room?
We have several enthernet ports but no wifi and I am trying to get internet acess on my ipad.The other isue is that we have content filtering, would this be a isssue? Thanks!
- Asked by Karl L
- Jan 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used in my schools common room?)
print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?
Can I connect 2 different printers, one into USB and the other through Ethernet cable and be able to print to both? AND can I use this to extend my current wireless network so the printers can connect wirelessly instead of long cables?
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- Aug 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express
I have a Brother Laser printer that is wireless 2270DW and an epson wireless printer that students are using in an dorm. I have set secure wireless network but need to know if these two printers can print wirelessly or do they need to be connected via printer cable to Airport Express to perform wireless printing? Last but not least you us a spliter on the USB outlet on the Airport express and hardwire the two printers via printer cables?
- Asked by Chris P from Sandy Springs
- Aug 6, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
I want wi-fi access for my 2010 2.8Ghz mac pro. Should I buy Airport Extreme base station?
I do not have the following:
1) An AirPort card fitted - really expensive call-out charge and part
2) Would rather not run a cable throughout house to the router downstairs, as it is rented accomodation.
Will the Airport Extreme base station, pick up the wi-fi from downstairs?
Or do i definately need an ethernet cable draped all over the house to the Virgin Media router for a cheaper option?
(Have tried using a usb ralink but it has stopped working and want something more substantial)
What's the best option?
Thanks for any advice! It's such a headache knowing what to do!
Can I attach a FWT, fixed wireless terminal, device to the AirPort to enable wifi?
I live in a rural village abroad and have internet access through a FWT, fixed wireless terminal. A SIM card is inside a large telephone you connect the FWT to a computer via USB cable. You then connect to the internet on the computer using a program such a FWT. Would it be possible to connect to the AirPort and broadcast wifi?
- Asked by Julia S from Milford
- Sep 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I attach a FWT, fixed wireless terminal, device to the AirPort to enable wifi?)
If I extend wi-fi network from an Airport Extreme basestation via WDS to this unit, can both ethernet ports be used for networking non wi-fi devices?
Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?
The place where I want the express is a far distance in my house from the router & modem. In order for the express to work, can I just plug it into an outlet and connect my computer/ios devices to it, or do I have to have it connected to the modem/router to use it?
- Asked by Dustin R from Haworth
- Aug 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?)
Can I scan wirelessly using a printer/scanner combo connected to the Airport Express USB port?
I have an HP printer/scanner combo. If I connect this to an Airport Express Base Station via USB, will I be able to use the scanning feature wirelessly?
- Asked by Jon Wayne B from Toronto
- Sep 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I scan wirelessly using a printer/scanner combo connected to the Airport Express USB port?)