Similar questions from the community
What exactly is an "analog/optical audio jack" mean? Is it 1/8* analog output jack or an optical TOSLINK S/PDIF digital output?
- Asked by Peder J W from Cuddebackville
- Aug 4, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What exactly is an "analog/optical audio jack" mean? Is it 1/8* analog output jack or an optical TOSLINK S/PDIF digital output?)
Is there a way to access both optical and analog audio outputs simultaneously?
analog for external speaker amplifier and toslink for av system
- Asked by Ed T from Locust Grove
- Jun 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to access both optical and analog audio outputs simultaneously?)
is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV
I want to bring the iTunes library to my stereo, and googling on this there were a number of posts that suggested that Airport Extreme had better decoding for CD quality audio then did the AppleTV. All the iTunes files are of course digital, and I am intending to use the optical output of either the Airport Express or AppleTV.
To really hear a difference I would need to do an A/B test of one against the other - which I do not intend to do, but I do have a very high end system so when things are not as they should be there is no hiding it.
I don't need the AppleTV right now for the theater setting - so video streaming ability would be on hold there, for now but likely added sometime in the next year or so.
It's really a matter of which device is going to be better for delivering the iTunes music library to the stereo system. Why there would be a different between the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV is not clear to me. The limiting source would seem to be the bit rate of the files in iTunes - but perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps there is a difference in DA converters - though that too would seem strange, but with the use of the Digital Optical Out I would think that there should be no difference.
But certainly better to know about it before I buy the device and get it set up - appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
- Asked by Dan R from Superior
- Jul 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV)
Does airport express have digital input?
Does the airport express have a digital input as well as analogue input? I want to connect to my digital surround sound system with optical cable, is this possible with airport express or will i need to buy apple tv unit? Cheers guys
- Asked by James D
- Jun 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does airport express have digital input?)
External storage via ethernet?
If I can't use the USB port to access external storage wirelessly, would I be able to hook up a network-enabled external drive via one of the ethernet ports, and have the other port lead to my modem? I don't want to get an Airport Extreme as that lacks the optical audio output that I want to use for a home audio system
- Asked by Devon S from Richmond
- Nov 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (External storage via ethernet?)
No answers yet
Can I use the AirPort device or something similar to transmit audio from the output of my DJ mixing desk to my home Airplay network ?
I'm looking for something that I can plug into the output socket of my Stanton SCS4DJ MP3 mixing desk that will enable me to send the audio output wirelessly to my Airplay network that includes my Denon Ceol Network Music System, Apple TV and any other speakers that I choose to add to my Airplay network. Thanks
Does the new Airport Express output audio to 'non-powered' speakers? The product description says 'any connected speakers'
- Asked by Robert A from Colorado Springs
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Airport Express output audio to 'non-powered' speakers? The product description says 'any connected speakers')
What are the audio specifications for the AirPort Express? Frequency Response, max output level, distortion, signal to noise, etc.
- Asked by Ian W from Prairie Village
- Sep 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the audio specifications for the AirPort Express? Frequency Response, max output level, distortion, signal to noise, etc.)
I want to stream music to different areas of my house, simultaneously from 1 apple device. (macbook or iphone)
I have been able to stream music from itunes and spotify through a hifi connected to my TV through apple TV.
I've also been able to send sound to 2 outputs from my mac. The 3.5mm output on it and apple TV however the sound is out of sync by half a second or so.
If I bought an apple airport express, could I use this and apple TV to play music (from spotify OR itunes) at the same time and remain in sync?
Or is there a way to correct the output time lapse between my mac's 3.5mm out and apple tv?
What exactly is the AirPort Express?
Am not familiar with this product and the description is a little unclear. Is this basically a wireless router? Any help would be appreciated!
- Asked by Joseph P from New Rochelle
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What exactly is the AirPort Express?)
Does the USB port power third party peripherals?
I wish to use the airport express to stream (airplay) music to a hi-fi system.
In order to connect the airport express (digital optical out) to the amp (analogue RCA phono) I will need to use a digital to analogue converter.
The majority of these are mains powered but I am looking at a USB powered one and I need to know if the USB port on the airport express will be able to power a digital to analogue converter as it appears its main function is to connect to a printer.
- Asked by Steven H
- Dec 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB port power third party peripherals?)
Can you use the Airport Express system to link to play music straight through from the Iphone to a normal hifi that only has a standard audio input?
I have a speaker system that only has an audio stereo cable input (left right stereo cable) and want to be able to play music through the wifi to this speaker set. Is this possible?
The base system doesn't seem to have the required outputs to make this happen.
Streaming audio from iTunes on iMac. Apple TV or Airport express? confused...
So 3 audio systems with traditional amplifier/speakers.
Want to selectively route iTunes audio (using PureMusic if possible) to these systems but they are a good distance from the computer. Looked at Apple TV but only has optical audio out which doesn't work with my amps. Also I read about Airport Express but this seems to want to be a router and setup and network and I already have a router etc... can airport express just sit on the network and give me regular audio out to the amplifiers and if so, is it high quality audio (noticed only has a 3.5mm jack).
Is there a higher end solution to this? Read about Sonos a little etc...
- Asked by Simon C from Raleigh
- May 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Streaming audio from iTunes on iMac. Apple TV or Airport express? confused...)
- Asked about: Mac
If I set up the AirPort Express to extend my WiFi range can I also use the optical out on AirPort Express to airplay music to a DAC?
- Asked by David D from Glen Ellyn
- Sep 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (If I set up the AirPort Express to extend my WiFi range can I also use the optical out on AirPort Express to airplay music to a DAC?)
Our Digital VOIP phones connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. Will a Airport Express provide ample signal to support the digital phones?
Will Airport Express provide ample signal via an ethernet cable to support our new VOIP digital phones?
While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?
If a new Airport Express is bridging a network connection provided by an Airport Extreme, will it allow two devices to be wired to the express and "bridged" to the primary network? I would like to relocate a mac pro and xbox 360 on the other side of my house and would like to hook these two devices up to the network. Otherwise an airport express and a switch would work, so I have read, but I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
- Asked by Eric P from Clifton Park
- Sep 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?)