Similar questions from the community
I don't have an Internet connection but just want to create a local wireless network with airport express Apple TV and my mac book pro. Can I?
I am on a yacht hence the question. I just want to stream from mac book pro to Apple TV?
Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?
I want to create a wireless network in my home for my apple devices, but do not want to connect them to the internet (at this stage). Will AirPort Express allow me to stream music & video held on my iMac on my TV via AppleTV?
- Asked by Tom B from Adelaide
- Feb 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?)
Will I require an existing internet connection to use the Express, or can I use It's wireless features offline?
I would like to know if if can use the Airport Express without an internet connection?
I have a Mac Pro, currently I must set up an ad-hoc wifi network each time I want to connect my iPhone and iPad wirelessly to my Mac.
Will the Express allow me to create a lasting wireless network (as opposed to having to set up an ad-hoc network whenever I want to connect my devices wirelessly to my Mac?)
I receive my internet through my iPhone's wireless hotspot connection, so I do not have a router.
- Asked by Peter M from Armidale
- Sep 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I require an existing internet connection to use the Express, or can I use It's wireless features offline?)
do i need an Airport Express for each device, ie. HDTV, BLURAY PLAYER, MAC?
I am considering getting Apple TV, want to know what all I need to set up my own network. Also, to watch local TV do I still need cable service?
- Asked by Debbie C from Sugarloaf
- Apr 16, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need an Airport Express for each device, ie. HDTV, BLURAY PLAYER, MAC?)
can I create its own LAN when I bring with me to another place
I want to create a mini-LAN for my classroom so that my participants can connect (wirelessly) to obtain an IP address. On this mini-LAN, a Mac mini is also connected which act as a host, e.g. a web-server. iOS devices can connect to this Airport Express as well. I do not have access to the Internet nor any network in that building as my class does not have a fix location. Sometime, it can be in a hotel and another time I can be in cafe.
- Asked by James H from Singapore
- Apr 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can I create its own LAN when I bring with me to another place)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Nov 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.
What is the apple airport express
I really would like to know what u have to do to set up create a new wireless thing
- Asked by Julian C from Las Vegas
- Nov 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the apple airport express)
No answers yet
No Internet network in our RV?
Can we set up a network in our RV, with a airport express and AppleTV? We will not have internet access at the campground, but want to use Airplay from our iOS devices. Is this possible without an Internet connection?
- Asked by Jason C from Hebron
- Mar 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No Internet network in our RV?)
No answers yet
can i wirelessly extend a network? AKA airport express wirelessly connects to router and the express creates it's own hotspot.
- Asked by Devin M from Ellicott City
- Jan 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can i wirelessly extend a network? AKA airport express wirelessly connects to router and the express creates it's own hotspot.)
Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- May 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?
I have a cable modem with a single Ethernet port, which can be used to connect it to either a computer or a WiFi router, such as the AirPort Express. Thus if the modem is connected to a wireless router and an Ethernet connection to a computer is also desired, the latter must be connected to the Ethernet LAN port on the wireless router, which passes through the Ethernet WAN connection from the modem. I want to be able to turn off the wireless router when I don't need WiFi, but still have the computer connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Some wireless routers pass the connection from their Ethernet WAN port (connection from a modem) through to the Ethernet LAN port even when the device is itself not running. Is this true of the AirPort Express?
- Asked by Andrew M from Santa Fe
- Dec 8, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?)
Can i connect my computer without wifi directlly to the AirPort Express network LAN port and watch on my Apple TV as iTunes files?
That my personal computer is not WiFi, and I want to connect by lan cable to the airport express. Thanks.
Can i connect the Airport Express wirelessly to my existing Bell modem/router thingy then have the Express its own network as-well
so they connect together wirelessly (so the Express has internet too) and then make 2 separate networks both with internet but not connected with an ethernet cable
- Asked by Spencer K from Keswick
- Apr 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i connect the Airport Express wirelessly to my existing Bell modem/router thingy then have the Express its own network as-well)
how many airport express are needed for home network
I have a motorola router from my cable provider plus an airport express. I just bought apple tv and get a slow and poor signal. what do i need to do?
- Asked by Karen H from New Berlin
- Dec 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (how many airport express are needed for home network)
No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?
My wife and I live in a very rural area without internet. We have a mobile share plan (with tethering) for out Iphone 4s'. I want to setup a wireless speaker network to play my itunes music around the house. Will the airport express allow this?
If I understand correctly, I will need to purchase multiple airport expresses. Let's say, 4 total, 1 for each room I want speakers in and one connected to my PC with my Itunes library? I connect each airport to a set of speakers in said rooms and I can control the itunes library from my iphone via an app from anywhere in the house, and it's all completed wireless save the connections from airport ex to speakers and pc.
please help me make sure this is clear before I go and spend $400 bucks on these pups.
- Asked by Susan M from Monroe
- Jan 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
Can I extend an existing wireless network by connecting AirPort Express via ethernet cable (otherwise out of range of existing network)?
I'd like to create a wireless network in a separate building where the wireless signal does not reach, but does have an ethernet cable from the main router. Can I do this with AirPort Express?
- Asked by Will H from New York
- Nov 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I extend an existing wireless network by connecting AirPort Express via ethernet cable (otherwise out of range of existing network)?)
Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?
My landlord's wireless router is only 802.11b, whilst this is okay for their internet access (which is only 4Mbps) it means that when I am trying to use home sharing on Apple TV the connection is really bad. Can I attach this by ethernet cable to the existing router and stream from iTunes on my MacBook Air to Apple TV at a much faster rate or will the wireless network it creates be restricted by the internet download speed?
- Asked by David G
- Dec 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?)
Will the AirPort express provide internet connection to my Playstation 4?
- Asked by Wyatt S from Southampton
- Sep 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the AirPort express provide internet connection to my Playstation 4?)
If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?
I'm moving, and will be getting a Comcast modem/router combo for cable and internet. Can my Mac be set up wi-fi without connecting it to an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Denise W from Roseville
- Aug 25, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)