Similar questions from the community
If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme is this a worth while upgrade?
If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme will i see any imporvment to my connections in anyway if I upgrade to this new one? speed wise or distance wise perhaps? Or is it not worth upgrading?
- Asked by Andrew Y from Staten Island
- Jun 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme is this a worth while upgrade?)
Compatibility with previous generation of airport extreme
I currently have 2 airport extreme base stations these are configured with the radio set to 5 ghz as a single wireless network. can i introduce a airport express into the same wireless network but have this airport express transmitting on both 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously or will it be restricted to 5 ghz due to the older airport extreme configuration.
- Asked by Steve T
- Apr 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Compatibility with previous generation of airport extreme)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Nov 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
Will the Airport Express extend the guest network of an Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Anthony M from Albuquerque
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express extend the guest network of an Airport Extreme?)
can i use airport express as a network extender for my airport extreme
- Asked by Christina M from Zionville
- Aug 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use airport express as a network extender for my airport extreme)
I am running an Airport Time Capsule along with an Airport Extreme to extend my wireless network in my home. I have a fish tank control module (Neptune's Apex Controller) that I would like to add to my wireless network. This product does not have wireless capabilities, but you can connect it to a wireless game adaptor and go wireless from there? Would an additional airport express work for me?
- Asked by Joe C from Rehoboth
- Aug 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (network extender)
No answers yet
I using a airport express base station to extend from airport extreme. can i use a second airport express to extend from first airport express?
Does the new Airport Express have noticeable range improvements from it's predecessor?
I currently use the old Airport Express to extend my wireless network broadcasted from my Time Capsule 2nd generation.
Unfortunately, the room I have my Airport Express in, which has poor service to the Time Capsule directly, is not always within working range.
If I upgraded my Airport Express to the newer unit, should I expect to see a NOTICEABLE improvement in coverage range?
I'm specifically asking those users who have used both; do you notice a significant improvement worthy of spending $100 on upgrading my device, keeping in mind this is really only so I can get strong WiFi extended from my Time Capsule and have it more reliable than the extended signal I currently have from the older Airport Express.
- Asked by Michael F from Fair Lawn
- Aug 6, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Airport Express have noticeable range improvements from it's predecessor?)
Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
Can I extend my FIOS network with the AirPort Express?
I lose my FIOS wifi signal in some parts of my house. Could I use the AirPort Express to extend the network?
- Asked by Dylan J
- Apr 4, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I extend my FIOS network with the AirPort Express?)
Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?
Can the new (June 11 2012) AirPort Express Base Station extend an existing network by connecting an ethernet cable from an AirPort Extreme to the Express's WAN port, thereby making the Express both a wireless access point and also an ethernet port via its LAN part?
- Asked by Bruce V from Santa Cruz
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?)
I currently have a Netcomm Router that Broadcasts @ 2.4Ghz and If I used that Airport Express Could I make my Extended Network 5Ghz
- Asked by Henry V from Brisbane City
- Jan 21, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (I currently have a Netcomm Router that Broadcasts @ 2.4Ghz and If I used that Airport Express Could I make my Extended Network 5Ghz)
Can the new AirPort express share / extend a WiFi connection ?
The new AirPort Express has a WAN connection to share ethernet, can it also share / extend a Wireless network, for instance to be used as a portable router whilst travelling ?
- Asked by Simon B from Burton On Trent
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort express share / extend a WiFi connection ?)
Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme
- Asked by Nicolas S from Plymouth
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
Can i use my Airport Express to extend my wireless network with another brand router?
I bought an Airport Express to extend the wifi signal at home, but I have a Dynex router. Is it going to work without cable? ANd if I buy the Airport Extreme base, may i reply the signal without a cable?
- Asked by Sabrina I from Sao Paulo
- Nov 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use my Airport Express to extend my wireless network with another brand router?)
Can the new Airport Express Base Station extend the network from a new Airport Extreme Base Station AND use Airplay at the same time?
My old Airport Express cannot do both, you either have to set it up to create a network, join an existing network to extend it, or set it up for AirTunes. If the new one could do both, I'll buy it.
I have an old Airport Express A1084 from the year 2006,, it is compatible with the NEW Airport Express, can I extend my network using my old model?
Can I extend the range of a Belkin-based wifi network?
Where I live we have a wifi network with a Belkin modem. The signal is very weak in my area. Could a new Airport be used to extend the range? I have an older Airport Express and Airport, but when I have tried to use them to accomplish this, it seems they are not compatible with non-Apple modems. Is the new Airport Express different in this regard?
- Asked by Vicki P
- Jun 16, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I extend the range of a Belkin-based wifi network?)