My existing media are CD's. How does one transer these tunes to Time Capsule?
- Asked by William B from Tampa
- Feb 15, 2011
QA Apple Time Capsule
Product No Longer Available
1 Answer from the Community
It depends on if you are wanting it to backup your CD's or replace them.
1. To backup CD's is not what it is made for, but it can backup CD's imported into iTunes.
2. To replace them and 'stream' music from it then Apple TV is needed, but again this is not what Time Capsule is made for.
To put music on it 'rip' (import) the files to your computer using iTunes. You can then do one of 3 things:
1. Backup your machine using any backup software selecting the Time Capsule as the destination and the iTunes folder as the source
2. Use Time Machine to backup your Mac to the Time Capsule
3. Go into iTunes and put the root folder (Preferences / Advanced) onto the Time Capsule (note: to play any music on your computer you must be connected to the Time Capsule).
Here is my setup:
Apple TV (1st gen) connected wirelessly to the TimeCapsule with my iTunes root folder on the TimeCapsule. When I open iTunes (on my Mac, although it could be on a PC) it syncs my media to the Apple TV. I can then play anything on the Apple TV and it streams around my house using 2 Airport Express boxes with speakers attached. I then use iDrive to backup everything online.
- Answered by Peter M
- Feb 23, 2011