QA AirPort Extreme Base Station
Product No Longer Available
How many external hard drives can be connected to the AirPort Extreme?
1. How many external hard drives can be connected to the AirPort Extreme? (ie, via a USB hub)
2. Can an external hard drive that had beeen connect directly to my Mac be then connected to the AirPort Extreme without loss of data, or having to be reformatted? (I use Mac OS Extended format with journaling, and I do not use Time Machine.)
- Asked by Karl R from Wytheville
- Jul 8, 2010
1 Answer from the Community
You can plug in a self powered usb hub to your Airport Extreme and connect Hard drives the hub. All of the Hard drives should appear in Mac OS X.
Make sure it's a self powered hub, meaning the usb hubs you have to connect to an electrical outlet, or else it won't work. If your hard drives have a separate power supplies then its ok to use a non self powered usb hub.
2. No data loss will occur by doing that, that's because the Airport Extreme can read any formats the Mac can.
- Answered by Jeremie L from St-hubert
- Aug 16, 2010