graphics card upgrade on an early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. very confused as to what to buy.
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
There seem to be very few options, I would really like a definitive answer as to what to do. We play WOW and do video editing with Final Cut. We also are using an old monitor from our previous Mac, so have a special cable to make it work. Currently running a Nvidia 8800Gt so needs to be as good or better. Looks like the 5770 may be the best option, but unsure as to whether it will work, since not running 10.6.
- Asked by Kathleen A S from Auburn
- Feb 14, 2011
ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Product No Longer Available
3 Answers from the Community
You have a very similar configuration to my own machine.
The 8800GT was a good card, but often suffered from overheating, it's also quite old with GDDR3 memory; you will definitely notice a benefit with the HD 5770
Yes this card is compatible with the 2008 Mac Pro (the MacPro3,1).
I installed this card last night with no trouble. A few things to note however.
1. The card is rather large, and is designed to use all the space in the PCI Express bracket. Take care inserting it into the chassis of the machine, the power cable was a little fiddly to attach too.
NOTE: once the card was installed (I use PCIe slot 1 only one of the two screws on) the PCI bracket was fastenable.
2. The card is recognised by Mac OS X 10.6.4 (this is what Apple specifies for the card) with basic functionality, however you will need to upgrade to 10.6.5 or newer as the Mac drivers for the card are actually bundled in those newer updates.
As with any new hardware, reset your machine's PRAM once you're finished installing it.
If you use Bootcamp, there are drivers for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 from the AMD website.
I hope this helps you out, enjoy your new card!
- Answered by Peter M from Armidale
- Jul 23, 2012
I have just fitted a 5770 to my Mac Pro 1,1
I play WoW and the graphics are superb, I now have all the graphics setting on Ultra! Amazing difference compared to the previous card that was installed
I have read in forums of others using this card on 10.5 with no problems
- Answered by Tracy H
- Jun 26, 2011
If I were you, I would buy an NVIDIA GTX 760. Just the regular PC card should work under ML 10.8.4, read online for more info but its a really fast card and like i said, should work under OS X 10.8.4
- Answered by Benjamin K from Jamesville
- Aug 2, 2013