Early 2009 Quad Core compatibility with the new ATI Radeon 5870 and Dual Displays
Its been 2 about 2 years since I bought my Mac Pro... Currently running an early 2009 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with the ATI Radeon HD 4870... Looking to make a couple upgrades to the system
1) Is it as simple as just swapping the two cards? or do I need additional hardware to make the upgrade?
2) Will the 5870 be compatible with my current 24 inch Mac LED Cinema Display (late 2008)?
3) If I were to run 2 monitors (was looking at the new thunderbolt display)... would it be possible to run one at 1920x1200 and the other at 2560x1440 or do they both need to be running at the same resolution off the 5870? OR would I be better off buying an additional Nvidia GT 120 to run the other monitor??
4) If I did run this setup would my current 8gigs of ram be enough? (I do a lot of HDR photography editing and processing involving multiple layers on very large format files)
any help would be greatly appreciated
- Asked by Chris E from Summit
- Jul 24, 2011
ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or Early 2009)
Product No Longer Available
1 Answer from the Community
1) Yes, just a straight swap.
2) Yes, it's compatible
3) Your access to the correct cables and adapters aside, you should have no issues running two monitors at different resolutions.
4) You will not need to install any additional RAM after this upgrade.
- Answered by Aaron C from Temple City
- Jul 25, 2011