QA AirPort Extreme Base Station
Product No Longer Available
Can a harddrive connected to the base station act as the itunes library?
i'd like to network my itunes to my stereo (with wired speakers). Is it possible to use the apple base station for the following configuration:
1. to connect a hard drive that can act as the networked itunes library
2. use A Monster mini-to-RCA left/right audio cable to connect to stereo and play itunes from any networked laptop?
3. play pandora or other music wirelessly from itouch/iphone
- Asked by Dave V from Jamaica Plain
- Nov 11, 2009
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, a hard drive connected to the base station can store your media library but iTunes must still be running on your computer to stream & sync content to ATV, iPod, iPad or iPhone.
1. Transfer your media library from your Mac or PC following Apple instructions.
2. Plug into extreme. Check sharing is on in AE. You may need to change your iTunes library path again.
Make sure your Ext Hard has been formatted properly i.e for Mac you when using "Disk Utility" you probably need to check options and make sure you have chosen "GUID Partition Table". If this option is not chosen the AE will probably say "ERROR".
- Answered by George B
- Jun 22, 2011
I don't think that's possible with this base station. For that, you'd want the AirPort express. You would plug your speakers into it, then under "Devices" in iTunes prefs, check "Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes." If you have the Remote app on your iPhone/Touch, you could then control the music playing through the speakers via your iTunes library.
- Answered by Harrison D from Bethel
- Nov 13, 2009