Will the MM-1 work with the USB on an airport express ? Is the DAC on a airport express as good as the MM-1 DAC ?
5 Answers from the Community
The Airport Express USB port is only for USB printing. All audio data is either decoded by the Airport Express on-board Burr-Brown DAC or fed via digital optical mini-Toslink cable to another DAC-equiped device (i.e. audio/video receiver, Apple Hi-Fi). Therefore, you cannot connect the MM-1 to the Airport Express via USB.
Since the MM-1 does not have an digital optical input, you would have to rely on the Airport Express Burr-Brown DAC to decode then pass the audio to the MM-1 via analog cable, which bypasses the MM-1's on-board DAC.
The highest quality connection for these speakers is directly to computer via USB.
I could not find what DAC chip the MM-1 (or Zeppelins) use, so I can't factually answer which device has the superior DAC. I do know that the Burr-Brown PCM2705 used in the Airport Express is NOT low quality. Measured tests have shown it to be a very capable DAC.
Given my fondness for B&W speakers, I would expect that B&W also uses a good quality DAC chip.
- Answered by Kyra S from Leona Valley
- Aug 23, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The DAC on an Airport express cannot compete with the DAC in the MM-1's, and the USB on an Airport express is only designed for connection to a printer.
- Answered by Matthew Mark E
- Jul 8, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
If you use the auxillary input you can use them with airport express. Hope this helps
- Answered by Sean N
- Apr 26, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
I could be wrong, but I think the USB port on the Airport Express will not handle audio out. I have a pair of HK SoundSticks, but the original versions which have a USB connection rather than a 3.5mm analogue. I know that those won't work with Airport Express, so I'd imagine it would be the same for the MM-1's. If you find out different, please let me know!
- Answered by Euan R from Brooklyn
- Apr 21, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
I'm not sure about the technical part of the answer, but I use mine with my airport express connected with a USB cable, and it works just fine.
- Answered by Nancy W from New York
- Oct 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?
- Asked by Adrian B
- Nov 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Can you plug P5s into the Zepp Air, while plugged into a Mac? I'd like use the Zepp's DAC to bypass the DAC on my Mac. I believe the MM-1s have this.
- Asked by David N from San Diego
- Feb 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you plug P5s into the Zepp Air, while plugged into a Mac? I'd like use the Zepp's DAC to bypass the DAC on my Mac. I believe the MM-1s have this.)
- Asked about: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air Speak…