Do I need a modem with the airport extreme?
- Asked by Carrie A from Waynesburg
- Feb 22, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need a modem with the airport extreme?)
5 Answers from the Community
Yes you do. The modem connects with the incoming signal from your provider and the router (AP Extreme) routes the signal wirelessly to your devices. The router is the connector between the modem and your devices.
- Answered by Daniel T from Redlands
- Feb 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You only need a modem (cable/dsl/fiber box) if you wish to have Internet connectivity. Otherwise, the Airport Extreme will create an internal network to share files between multiple computers, allow printing, etc.
- Answered by Mark H from Kansas City
- Mar 12, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
It depends on how you connect to the internet. The internet in our condo is provided by our HOA via an ethernet port (looks like an old-style phone cable socket), just like in an office, so we just use an ethernet cable to connect our AirPort to the ethernet port on the wall.
If you have a subscription agreement with a cable or phone company, they should have already offered you a "modem" to translate their feed into standard ethernet, so then you would use your ethernet cable to plug into the modem.
So you don't need a modem for the AirPort if you are in an office or have internet fed to your location via the standard ethernet port, but if you get internet from your phone company or cable company yes you need a "modem" but the company should have already provided you with one. Some people buy their own modem on an online auction company to avoid the high rental fees cable and phone companies padded on top their already high internet connection charges, but you have to actively avoid the standard cable/phone company "package" to avoid that situation.
So the short answer if, you probably already have everything you need, if you are already connected to the internet.
- Answered by William W from Emeryville
- Apr 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, a modem router in fact which has at least one LAN ethernet port.
- Answered by Robert C
- Feb 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
- Answered by Thomas S from Colts Neck
- May 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Does the airport express have to be wired in to a modem or the airport extreme, or can it be used freestanding if i have an extreme wired in?
- Asked by Jamie C from Carmel
- Jul 17, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the airport express have to be wired in to a modem or the airport extreme, or can it be used freestanding if i have an extreme wired in?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express