Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto
I have a macbook pro which I travel with and an iMac at home. So i end up with lots of photographs on both. Would be great if they were synced. I have had lots of trouble with iCloud and iphoto on both devices but no such issues with ipad and iphone.
Hopefully AirPort Time Capsule is the answer to my problems.
- Asked by Mark R
- Jul 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, but not manually merging the contents.
Apple Time Capsule (ATC) will back up files on a MacOSX system. I point that out because it only works with files, not making choices as to their contents. If those files include a user's "Pictures" directory (or wherever the user may have reconfigured the iPhoto folder(s)) then TimeMachine as a service will back up those iPhoto files to a TimeCapsule, but it doesn't do anything different with Photos than with Movies, Word Documents, or Garageband songs.
In your example, ATC would backup separate isolated backups of both Macs; this wouldn't give you the result of a single combined library, it would only give you the really great feeling of knowing your photos are securely preserved.
I think your best solution is a 3rd-party tool called "iPhoto Library Manager" by Fat Cat Software. This is a not-free product, and not supported by Apple of course, but I've used it very successfully to split libraries, and it offers the ability to merge content as well. This would be a manual action, but it has done a very good job of maintaining meta-data for me while it does its work.
- Answered by Allan C from White Rock
- Dec 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use the Apple AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB for backing up my Windows 7 pc
- Asked by Pradeep C from Cary
- Nov 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Apple AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB for backing up my Windows 7 pc)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I have 2 time capsules set up to work independently backing up one iMac? ...and have the old one boost the wireless signal?
- Asked by Benjamin S from Beaumont
- Nov 10, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I have 2 time capsules set up to work independently backing up one iMac? ...and have the old one boost the wireless signal?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?
- Asked by Gillian K from Maryborough
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…