My charger stopped working. Was it because when plugged into an extension cord it always felt hot? Is an extension cord compatible with this charger
When using an extension cord, the charger would get very warm.
3 Answers from the Community
I have gone through two power adapters, the large one with the flip prongs and the smaller one. While the manual says to expect some heat on the charger, I am suspecting that the adapters are being damaged from plugging them into a regular extension cord. My cords are the two pronged polarized 9' regular 110v in good working order. I am also charging in two different locations on two different cords. My smaller one didn't last a week.
I'm going to stop using the extension cords with the Apple USB adapter and plug directly into a wall socket or power strip. I did read the manual and there is no mention of not using an extension cord.
Since both of my locations I want to charge at are not at a wall plug (thus the reason to use an extension cord) I am going to research other options. I wish there was an extension cord available with USB ends. I know they now have wall outlets with USB ports.
- Answered by Michael S from East Lansing
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The (over) heating of your charger when on a extension cord may be caused by thermal insulation from the surface that the charger is resting on or under during operation. If it is resting on a hard, cool surface, the charger can dissipate heat into moving air (convection) and into the cool surface (conduction) at about the same rate as the charger produces it, and it doesn't overheat.
If the charger/adapter is plugged into a strip or wall outlet, it will have maximum surface area in air and can cool by air moving past (convection).
A problem can arise if, because of the location the charger/adapter that extension cord will allow, the charger is resting on a thick carpet or an upholstered surface or bed, or worst of all, covered under a pillow, blanket, or other fabric. Now, convective or conductive heat loss (or both) will be reduced and the charger can get very hot reducing its useful life, and if completely insulated, risking a fire.
The extension cord rated for the input of the charger isn't the problem, but the extension allowing improper location of the charger itself, is.
- Answered by John P from Stanford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
When the charger is working some heat is normal, irregardless of whether it is plugged directly into the wall or through an extension cord (the amount of heat depends on how much "load" is on the charger and whether you are 110v or 220v). As long as the cord is of good quality and fully functioning (no shorts or broken wires, nor missing grounds) it should not affect the operation of the charger, however there is no way of knowing for sure why the charger stopped working.
- Answered by Tyler T from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Looking for a combo charger and extension cord for ipod touch.
- Asked by Charles F from Roanoke
- Jun 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Looking for a combo charger and extension cord for ipod touch.)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
Is there a compatible extension cord for earphones like this?
- Asked by James H from Richardson
- Feb 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a compatible extension cord for earphones like this?)
- Asked about: Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote…
Does this come with the extension cord?
- Asked by Adam A from Colorado Springs
- Jan 9, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this come with the extension cord?)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…
No answers yet