Can Apple earphones/buds be used with laptops?
I have an HP dv6 laptop (3 years old) & am allergic to the earbuds that have the latex filters on them. I'm trying to find an alternative but am coming up with nothing other then the Apple earbuds. Do they work with laptops?
- Asked by Suzanne A from Philadelphia
- Dec 19, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Apple earphones/buds be used with laptops?)
3 Answers from the Community
You can hear sound with them like any headphone / headset, but the microphone will not work.
- Answered by Jason S from Lancaster
- Dec 21, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I tried using my new earpods with my 2yo Dell lapotop and nothing is coming through with them. They work perfectly fine on my iPhone 4 though.
- Answered by Olaf F from Pitman
- Mar 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I bought them for my iPad Mini, but I also use these with my laptop.
Just for fun, I tried them in my early (2nd generation and pre-controls) iPod Shuffle and I can hear just fine.
If these do not work on your laptop, I suspect you may find someone makes a third party adapter for 3.5mm 4-pole female to 3-pole male.
If all else fails, I know I have seen non-latex replacement tips for standard earbuds somewhere in my travels.
- Answered by Walter C G from Austin
- Jul 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can you close your mac laptop while using the display?
- Asked by Albert K from Fort Lauderdale
- Feb 25, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you close your mac laptop while using the display?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)