Is the sd card reader limit to 32gb
- Asked by Michael G from Lawrenceville
- Apr 30, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the sd card reader limit to 32gb)
6 Answers from the Community
Yes - the SD card can only read up to 32 GB SD cards. If you have the newer 64GB or 128GB SD cards they will NOT work.
- Answered by Stephen I from San Jose
- Jun 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No I have used it with a 64GB and it worked fine.
- Answered by Christine R
- Jun 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC card. My iPad Mini Retina is able to read the card, however it is EXTREMELY slow to load the thumbnails, and will often crash during import of more than a hundred photos.
After much testing and frustration, I've determined that the problem lies with the card's format.
Cards of capacity 32GB or less are formatted as FAT32, aka "MS-DOS (FAT)" in OS X Disk Utility.
Cards of capacity greater than 32GB are "supposed" to be formatted as exFAT (search Wikipedia).
But... you can manually format a 64GB card as FAT32 using "Erase" in Disk Utility.
I have just done this, and now the thumbnails are generated almost instantly on my iPad and photos import without issue.
Note that I have not yet tested with hundreds of photos, nor with video. Also, my Fuji X-T1 camera seems to have no problems with a 64GB card formatted as FAT32, though other cameras may have problems. Lastly, a great advantage of exFAT is being able to record video files larger than 4GB, so you obviously forfeit this advantage by formatting your card as FAT32.
- Answered by Iain D from Valentine
- Aug 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Responders need to identify the brand of the card used and the specific model. Is it an SXDC or not? What? That will help us suss this out.
- Answered by Jane A from Sioux Falls
- Jul 6, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
I tried a Sandisk 64GB SD card in the reader, and it failed to work. Renders the unit useless. I have the USB version, will try that and see if it works,
- Answered by Phill G
- May 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
No. My new camera with SDXC 64GB card imports to my iPad v4 with my SD Card Reader. I insert the SD card into the reader before attaching the reader to my iPad. Evidently something (HW/SW?) changed that allows the import. Happy to say!
- Answered by Wes H from Fairfax
- Jan 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Can I write to a SD card via the SD reader or is it read only?
- Asked by Martin T
- Jun 19, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I write to a SD card via the SD reader or is it read only?)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
does apple make a sd card reader for the I POD
- Asked by John N from Milton
- Jan 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (does apple make a sd card reader for the I POD)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (2 m)