Can you use a USB extension cable with the super drive? If so how long?
- Asked by Bardy H from San Diego
- Jul 25, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use a USB extension cable with the super drive? If so how long?)
2 Answers from the Community
Generally, no. The SuperDrive relies upon the Mac's built-in port, which provides more power than the standard USB specification. Consequently, most hubs and extension cables (even with external power) do not allow the SuperDrive to run, and you'll get a "device needs USB power" error. I have yet to find a solution for extending the tiny cable provided to work in my clamshell-docked MacBook Pro Retina 13 solution, which disappoints me to no end. I'm sure there's a solution that does work somewhere, but it will be a solution that allows the provision / transfer of beyond-USB-spec power down the line.
- Answered by Keith R from Arlington
- Nov 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Like all USB products yes and as long as you can find with USB 2 or 3 compatibility
- Answered by Ben R from Riverside
- Oct 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
iPhone 5 warranty extension ?
- Asked by Antonio C from Miami Beach
- Dec 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (iPhone 5 warranty extension ?)
- Asked about: AppleCare+ for iPhone
No answers yet
Will a shorter USB extension cable work with this cable?
- Asked by Casey B from Fargo
- Oct 17, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a shorter USB extension cable work with this cable?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)
can you use an Apple super drive through an Apple TV?
- Asked by Piter V
- Oct 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use an Apple super drive through an Apple TV?)
- Asked about: Apple TV