can the super drive work on a windows 8 pc
- Asked by Mark M from Chesterfield
- Flag as inappropriate (can the super drive work on a windows 8 pc)
4 Answers from the Community
I suppose this information might no longer be relevant to the original poster but it might still be relevant for others.
Essentially, yes, the superdrive will work on a windows 8 (or 7, or 8.1, or XP, etc...) pc on a powered USB port, just the same as it will work on a mac running bootcamp and windows 8. All you need to do is to the relevant install the drivers.
- Answered by Luis Miguel S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Tricky situation ... Technically, is should be able to, (with minor Hardware modifications) as it is using a USB as a Connector, but, thou mentioned as MINOR modifications, its not so easy as it is made out to sound. But Apple have encoded the drive so it should be able to identify and reject any computer if it is not on the "APPROVED" list, which ironically include certain MAC computers as well.
It can be setup to be 'SHARED' over a WIFI Network as well.
But to be on the safe side, IF you intent to connect it straight to a Windows PC, 3.1 --> 8, I would have to say NO, it will NOT work with default Factory Settings.
- Answered by Thomas B from Shelton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Ignore anybody who says no based on the fact it can be only used on macs without a built in CD drive.
I have a mac with a CD drive and it is still possible to use it by modifying a file - do a google search for it.
Any apple hardware, inc. keyboards, mice and the superdrive will work on a windows machine - all you have to do is install the relevant bootcamp drivers as you would if you was actually using bootcamp on a mac. Superdrives and other external hardware don't discriminate on systems, they only do what the drivers tell them to do, and the drivers are made for windows.
- Answered by Graham B from Balzers
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
No the super drive is meant for MACS that do not have a inbuilt cd drive.
- Answered by Melissa R from Nowra Hill
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Do I need this to work with super drive?
- Asked by Joseph M from Chicago
- May 11, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need this to work with super drive?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
No answers yet
Will this mobile hard drive work with Windows 8?
- Asked by Ove Eirik S
- Dec 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this mobile hard drive work with Windows 8?)
- Asked about: LaCie 2TB Porsche Design P'9223 Mob…
will the Apple wireless KB work on a PC with Windows 8 o/s ?
- Asked by Adam O from Woodbridge
- Nov 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (will the Apple wireless KB work on a PC with Windows 8 o/s ?)
- Asked about: Apple Wireless Keyboard - English