Leather vs polyurethane smart cover
Which material is best to get? I like the feel of the leather but I worry about durability and permeability.
- Asked by Keila T from Concord
- Apr 16, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Leather vs polyurethane smart cover)
3 Answers from the Community
polyurethane feels very soft and looks great. it cleans up easily and resists stains. it is marketed as a highly durable eco-friendly alternative to leather. The truth is polyurethane wears out extremely quickly in a high use situation. the colored polyurethane quickly wears off the backing material, typically polyester, leaving an ugly gray fabric showing through. i am in the industry and i see failures every day. polyurethane has half (50%) or less durability of pvc faux leather/vinyl.
architects and designers receive leed credits for the use of this material because it is supposed to be earth friendly. in reality it can only be made in china due to the extremely toxic byproducts produced in its manufacturing process. i compare this product to flocking. if you remember the old suede feeling glove boxes in cars back in the 70's. the problem was it wore out very quickly leaving the plastic backing behind. typically when polyurethane fails, it peels right off the backing. dont be fooled, it is an inferior product. and when sewn, can easily rip away from the stitching. canvas and leather are always best, never purchase leather made from sheep or lamb. never purchase nubuck or any "natural leather" as it will stain with just water unless treated. this also includes suede. if you must buy a faux leather always choose pvc. it has come a long way since the old naugahyde you may remember.
- Answered by Robert D from Quincy
- Nov 8, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
i honestly thing that the polyurethane has a nice touch and is really cool.And it is very durible and it will look good for a longer time than the leather. hope i helped
- Answered by Jacqueline S from Highland
- May 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have 4 custom made leather iPad cases.i know the elk hide and buckskin sure are so extra safe because they are anti slip.
- Answered by Milton M from Robbinsdale
- Apr 25, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Does the iPad Smart Case Polyurethane cover have an odor, whether cold or when the iPad is in use?
- Asked by Joanne M S from Lopez Island
- Jul 28, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the iPad Smart Case Polyurethane cover have an odor, whether cold or when the iPad is in use?)
- Asked about: iPad Smart Case - Polyurethane - Da…
Are the smart cover as well as the case made of leather?
- Asked by Gerardo F from Longview
- Nov 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Are the smart cover as well as the case made of leather?)
- Asked about: iPad mini Smart Case - (PRODUCT)RED