Will iPad dock allow synching to iTunes on a laptop with low-power USB2 port?
I was disappointed to find that I am unable to use my new iPad 2 with my home computer (Dell Inspiron laptop) because the USB2 ports do not provide enough current, even when on AC adapter.
My iPad got stuck in Recovery Mode partway through the initial firmware installation, and after several calls to Apple Support it was eventually necessary for me to install iTunes on Mom's desktop computer to complete the restore.
Anyway, If I want to use the iPad 2 with iTunes on my own computer I will need some sort of AC-powered USB hub or adapter.
Will the Apple iPad 2 Dock work for this application, or is it also dependent on the source computer to provide power?
- Asked by Gretchen B from Yellow Springs
- Jan 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will iPad dock allow synching to iTunes on a laptop with low-power USB2 port?)
1 Answer from the Community
After further research I have my answer: No!
Somehow I had gotten the idea that the iPad Dock came with or had a connection for an AC power adapter. It doesn't. It just has a connector on the back that accepts the standard iPad-to-USB cable. Power supplied to the iPad comes from the connected computer.
Won't help in my situation after all...
I've done some more looking around the 'net, and I can't believe no company makes a high-power (~ 1Amp) USB adapter that will allow charging and syncing an iPad to an older computer or laptop.
Huge market developing for such a beast!
- Answered by Gretchen B from Yellow Springs
- Jan 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 + Firewall Cable
- Asked by David B
- Jan 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 + Firewall Cable)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
No answers yet
Should I get a low end 13 inch 2011 MBP or a low end 15 inch MBP?
- Asked by Anna E from Dfsdfsdfsdfsdf
- Nov 6, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Should I get a low end 13 inch 2011 MBP or a low end 15 inch MBP?)
- Asked about: Mac
can i use the belkin 7-Port Ultra-Slim USB 2.0 Metal Desktop Hub with a usb power adapter?
- Asked by James H from West Seneca
- Apr 10, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use the belkin 7-Port Ultra-Slim USB 2.0 Metal Desktop Hub with a usb power adapter?)
- Asked about: Belkin 4-Port Ultra-Slim USB 2.0 De…