can this cable transfer Mac mini files to another mac mini?
I just bought a new Mac Mini and want to transfer everything from my old G4 2007 Power Mac Mac-Mini, to my new dual system one. Which cable do I need?
- Asked by Anna B from River Oaks
- May 29, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (can this cable transfer Mac mini files to another mac mini?)
1 Answer from the Community
HDMI can only transfer video, it cannot transfer any information (well, newer devices can transfer internet, but that's a different story).
If you would like to transfer data, the best way would be to use ethernet or Firewire. The G4 Mac Mini only had Firewire 400, and I'm assuming by "new dual system" you mean the newer one, which only has Firewire 800. So if you chose to use Firewire, you would need a 6-pin Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable (or equivalent adapter paring).
The other option would be to use ethernet. If they are on the same network, depending on your router/switch configuration, you can get fairly good speed by just connecting the two and sharing files. You can also, however, connect the two directly.
Quick note, you need to share the network for the firewire method, or use Target Disk Mode.
- Answered by Alex H from Cedar Rapids
- Jul 16, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can i transfer picture files from my laptop that has regular usb to my ipad mini with this cable?
- Asked by Bullet N from Hampton
- Mar 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i transfer picture files from my laptop that has regular usb to my ipad mini with this cable?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (0.5 m)
Can I connect a Mac Mini to my laptop so I can use the laptop as the display for the mini?
- Asked by Kyle S from Kansas City
- Oct 10, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Mac Mini to my laptop so I can use the laptop as the display for the mini?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter