Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?
Everytime I buy a new MacBook Pro I get to transfer my applications and files from my older MacBook to the new MacBook when I start up my new MacBook. I am buying a Mac Air in a few days and I need to do the same but the new MacAir has no ethernet port. Can I, therefore, use this accessory to transfer my files/applications from my current MBP to the new Mac Air which I will order?
- Asked by Emmanuel B from Los Angeles
- Oct 28, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?)
3 Answers from the Community
You should be able to.
- Answered by Derek K from Hanover
- Jul 18, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, you could. But you probably wouldn't want to.
The USB Ethernet adapter is a 10/100Mbps network adapter, meaning it's max speed is 100 megabits (Mb) per second.
The current generation of MacbookAir has 802.11n wireless which has a max speed of over 200Mbps, if connected to an wireless-N network.
So, if you have a MBP with wireless-N connected to an WiFi-N network, or if your MBP is connected via hardline to your WiFi-N router, than transferring over the wireless will be faster than using a hard line.
However, if you don't have a router, or have a wireless-G or slower router, you'd be limited to 54Mbps on G or .. well, no connection without. So, you'd want to use this adapter. Either by connecting through a router/hub/switch, (MBA--hub--MBP) or with a crossover cable (MBA=x=MBP) though using a crossover cable requires some extra configuration and a crossover cable or adapter.
Hope this answers your question!
- Answered by J N from Northbridge
- Dec 1, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Clarification: a crossover cable is NOT required on modern Macs. Any ethernet patch cable will work. The onboard NICs on all Intel Macs have Auto-MDIX.
- Answered by Joe N from Townsend
- Aug 16, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Mac Book Air / 13 in with Lion, If I download my photos onto this computer will I be able to transfer them to my MB Pro later. MBP does not have Lion
- Asked by Cindy B from Theodore
- Aug 4, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Mac Book Air / 13 in with Lion, If I download my photos onto this computer will I be able to transfer them to my MB Pro later. MBP does not have Lion)
- Asked about: Mac
Compatablity. Can I transfer From an old MacBook to the new 13" Air
- Asked by Kevin K from Frazier Park
- Dec 8, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Compatablity. Can I transfer From an old MacBook to the new 13" Air)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I use my new mac air with this?
- Asked by Scott M from Aiea
- Oct 17, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my new mac air with this?)
- Asked about: Elgato Game Capture HD Game Recorde…