Will Snow Leopard bought in this manner install on a completely blank hard drive or do i need to be running a previous version of OS X?
1 Answer from the Community
Any version of Snow Leopard will install on a completely blank hard drive.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Oct 28, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I am an iMac User (previous generation) running OS X Snow Leopard + a MacBook Pro (previous generation); what limitations can I expect??
- Asked by Michael F from Fair Lawn
- Oct 21, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (I am an iMac User (previous generation) running OS X Snow Leopard + a MacBook Pro (previous generation); what limitations can I expect??)
- Asked about: Apple Magic Mouse
final cut pro with external hard drive
- Asked by Max R
- Jul 21, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (final cut pro with external hard drive)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
If i have bought the os x 10.6 Snow Leopard in order to download to os x 10.7 do i need to buy this as well?
- Asked by Alain B from Newark
- Dec 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (If i have bought the os x 10.6 Snow Leopard in order to download to os x 10.7 do i need to buy this as well?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)