What is the next best op. system to upgrade to on my MacBook (2008 with an intel core 2 DUO, system 10.5.8) without breaking the bank? Is it easy?
- Asked by Mark W from Frederick
- Jul 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the next best op. system to upgrade to on my MacBook (2008 with an intel core 2 DUO, system 10.5.8) without breaking the bank? Is it easy?)
2 Answers from the Community
No matter which OS you wish to finally upgrade to, you will need to first upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6).
Snow Leopard is available on disk for $19.99 from:
in Canada: storeDOTappleDOTcom/ca/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
in USA: storeDOTappleDOTcom/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
(replace each "DOT" with ".")
Once you have installed Snow Leopard, go to Apple Menu and do Software Updates to bring up to OS 10.6.8. OS 10.6.8 provides the "App Store" application to download the latest OS (currently the free Mavericks OS 10.9). The App Store also has Lion or Mountain Lion available once you have obtained/purchased a code from the online Apple Store (note: "Apple Store" is not same as "App Store"). However, for the 2008 MacBook (ID MacBook4,1 or MacBook4,2 in "About This Mac"), the furthest one can upgrade is Lion (OS 10.7).
The Lion download costs another $19.99. You can purchase redemption download code to use in the "App Store" application from:
in Canada: storeDOTappleDOTcom/ca/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
in USA: storeDOTappleDOTcom/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
When upgrading an OS, it is relatively easy. Patience is more important as it can take some time for the "upgrade" to complete. Note that some applications and drivers may not work in the newer OS. Personally, I install new Operating Systems on a separate partition, so I can start up from partition with older OS if I discover something didn't work in newer OS. Simply hold OPTION key during startup to choose the partition with the older OS.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Jul 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You need to install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard next. Without that you can't get anything more recent, because you need the Mac App Store.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Jul 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
my macbook osx is 10.5.8 how to upgrade to next Osx? or higher os
- Asked by Francis Ian R from Manila
- Jul 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (my macbook osx is 10.5.8 how to upgrade to next Osx? or higher os)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I upgrade my operating system from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 on my imac get the trackpad to wrok
- Asked by Sabra F from Honolulu
- Aug 12, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I upgrade my operating system from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 on my imac get the trackpad to wrok)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad
Will the apple remote work with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo version 10.5.8 black Macbook?
- Asked by Cheryl V from St.catharines
- May 30, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the apple remote work with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo version 10.5.8 black Macbook?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote