Mac OS X 10.4.11 Upgrading?!
Processor: 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo,
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Will I be able to install Leopard &/or Lion with this computer??
- Asked by Robert H from Tuolumne
- May 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Mac OS X 10.4.11 Upgrading?!)
2 Answers from the Community
You can install Snow Leopard. You can't install Lion. Lion has to have at least an "Intel Core 2 Duo" processor and 2GB of memory.
To upgrade to Snow Leopard, you can either install directly on top of OS10.4.11, or do the following steps (which I prefer):
1) Do a clean install of Snow Leopard to a new partition. If necessary, clone your 10.4 partition to a temporary, bootable external hard drive.
2) All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your hard drive (or partition) that Snow Leopard is going on to. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files.)
3) At some point during the installation, the installer will search all other partitions for an older OS, and if found, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition. Do this for a very smooth transition.
4) All my apps from OS 10.4 continued to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility needed upgrades. Until I could find the upgrades, I was still able to Start Up from my OS 10.4 partition (press Option during start up) in order to use my printers and scanner in the meantime.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- May 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
- Answered by Andrey K
- Feb 2, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will it work with OS X 10.4.11
- Asked by Luz S. T from Alice
- Jul 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with OS X 10.4.11)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
I have a mac mini OS10.4.11. How much would an upgrade to ios x 10.6 cost?
- Asked by Irving G from North Bergen
- Jan 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a mac mini OS10.4.11. How much would an upgrade to ios x 10.6 cost?)
- Asked about: Mac