Is it possible to download and enter the serial number from the disc I bought at Apple? It's been scratched and won't work.
I purchased OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on disc at the apple store. Unfortunately it was left out and got scratched before I could install it on all my machines. Is it possible to download it and enter my serial code? Or do I have to drive in LA traffic and pay for another copy??
- Asked by Kim A from Los Angeles
- Nov 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to download and enter the serial number from the disc I bought at Apple? It's been scratched and won't work.)
2 Answers from the Community
As far as I know there is no legally available download for Snow Leopard.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Nov 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The DVD does not have a serial number. You may be looking at the part number.
Buy from the online Apple Store and have it delivered to your home at no extra charge.
(replace each "DOT" with ".")
Note: Unless the licensing has changed for Snow Leopard, when you purchase the single license DVD, it is to be installed on a single Mac (even though it can be installed on many Macs from a single DVD). However, you are allowed several installations to separate partitions on the same Mac. The discontinued Family Pack DVD allowed installation on up to 5 different Macs in a household.
With Lion and later the licensing changed to allow installation on as many Macs as you have.
Try creating a DMG image (using Disk Utility) of one of your Snow Leopard installations, and RESTORING to a partition on the hard drive of your remaining Mac(s).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Nov 4, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
How do I find the serial number on my Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Dennis S from Houston
- Jan 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I find the serial number on my Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
My cd-rom stopped working on my macbook pro, is there a way to download snow leopard instead of buying the disc since I won't be able to install it?
- Asked by Tera W from Santa Rosa
- Jun 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (My cd-rom stopped working on my macbook pro, is there a way to download snow leopard instead of buying the disc since I won't be able to install it?)
- Asked about: Mac