If I purchase a mac pro setup, do i need to also purchase snow leopard or is it already installed on the hard drive
- Asked by Alex G from Upwey
- Oct 27, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (If I purchase a mac pro setup, do i need to also purchase snow leopard or is it already installed on the hard drive)
1 Answer from the Community
If you are buying new, it probably has Lion on it.
If you are buying used, it will likely have some sort of Mac OS already installed.
If you need to put Snow Leopard on, and it is an Intel-based Mac Pro, then read the following:
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Oct 28, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
do you have dedicated hard drive to back up
- Asked by Linda K V from Presto
- May 2, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (do you have dedicated hard drive to back up)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
is the ram and hard drive upgradable in macbook air (2012 and later)
- Asked by Frances K from Robbinsville
- Feb 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (is the ram and hard drive upgradable in macbook air (2012 and later))
- Asked about: Mac