i have macbook pro from late 2007 running 10.6.8. can i upgrade to lion?
with the mobile me program ending, i will no longer have the ability of my iphone (version 4s) to synch with my computer wirelessly. in order to have icloud on my computer i need to upgrade to lion but i am concerned that my mac book pro is too old. it was purchased in late 2007 and is running 10.6.8. i am concerned that if i upgrade to lion, the computer won't accomodate the new operating system and might corrupt my photos and other stored information. would i be taking a risk with the lion? if it is ok to upgrade, what woulf the limitations be given the age of the computer.?
- Asked by Carol C from Essex Fells
- Feb 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (i have macbook pro from late 2007 running 10.6.8. can i upgrade to lion?)
1 Answer from the Community
I have a MacBook (mid-2007) running Lion with absolutely no problems. 2GB of RAM is the minimum required, but I recommend 4GB if you want to avoid "slow downs".
The only main limitation is that you should not use the full disk encryption with Lion on an older Mac - because it does slow it down quite a lot.
Before you upgrade to Lion, make sure that you have a good back up on an external disk (i.e. Time Machine, or a disk clone from a product such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner).
Also, you need to make sure that you are not running any PowerPC applications on a regular basis (such as MS Office 2004). They will not work in Lion. Aside from that, everything is pretty easy.
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- Mar 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
WILL OS X LION (10.7) WORK ON MACBOOK 13-INCH LATE 2007
- Asked by Rachel M from Jacksonville
- Jul 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (WILL OS X LION (10.7) WORK ON MACBOOK 13-INCH LATE 2007)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
I currently have version 10.6.8, can I upgrade to mountain lion? Is Mountain lion the latest software? My Imac was purchased in 2007
- Asked by Karen A from Virginia Beach
- Nov 12, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I currently have version 10.6.8, can I upgrade to mountain lion? Is Mountain lion the latest software? My Imac was purchased in 2007)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I add memory to my 2007 iMac?
- Asked by Barbara S from San Diego
- Jan 30, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I add memory to my 2007 iMac?)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet