I have an iLife '08 MacBook. Where do I start to upgrade?
- Asked by Dennis F
- Mar 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an iLife '08 MacBook. Where do I start to upgrade?)
1 Answer from the Community
You have two questions in one.
1) How to upgrade iLife '08 to iLife '11.
2) How to upgrade from your current OS to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) or later.
First, determine which OS you are running. Go to "About This Mac" under the Apple menu. In the resulting information window, the second line from the top (under "OS X") will tell you which version of OS you are running.
If you have OS 10.5 or earlier, you will need to upgrade to at least OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) (and then do "Software Update" to get to OS 10.6.8). OS 10.6.8 or higher is necessary in order to access the App Store so one can download the current version of iLife and/or the current OS (OS 10.8).
However, if your Mac does not have an Intel processor (and instead has a PowerPC processor), you will not be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard.
iLife 11 may run on your Mac, but check system requirements first. While iLife 11 was originally supported by Snow Leopard, the latest updates to iPhoto and iMovie require Mountain Lion. iLife 11 is the first iLife released that must have an Intel-based Mac (it will not run on the older PowerPC-based Macs). iLife 09 and iLife 08 are compatible with both PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs.
Operating Systems after Snow Leopard support only the newer Macs. For example, OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not support most Macs made before mid-2008.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Mar 15, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can i upgrade from i work '08 to iwork '11?
- Asked by Susan B S from New York
- Jun 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i upgrade from i work '08 to iwork '11?)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet