I have a MacBook Pro 10.6.8. Is there a free upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.7)?
I'm not sure I meet the requirements for upgrading to Lion, so it Snow Leopard the next best thing?. Is there somewhere I can look on my MacBook Pro that will tell me if I meet the Lion requirements? Thanks.
- Asked by Nancy W from Deland
- Sep 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a MacBook Pro 10.6.8. Is there a free upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.7)?)
2 Answers from the Community
You already have Snow Leopard (10.6.8). :Lion is 10.7 and Mountain Lion is 10.8.
Lion (10.7) is no longer readily available, so your goal should be to upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8). The easiest way to find out if your Mac meets the requirements is to open the Mac App Store and attempt to purchase Mountain Lion. If your machine doesn't meet the requirements, it won't let you complete the purchase.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Sep 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You already have Snow Leopard.
Snow Leopard is OS 10.6 (most current version is OS 10.6.8).
Lion is OS 10.7 (not available in App Store, but may be available as a Legacy product).
Mountain Lion is OS 10.8 (this is the most current OS -- will not run on Macs older than 2007-2009: exact date depends on Mac model. Mountain Lion needs specific hardware, such as a certain type of graphics card, which was not in Macs before 2007-2009).
Mavericks is OS 10.9 (it is scheduled to be released by the end of 2013).
If you know the System Requirements of an OS, go to the Apple Menu and select "About This Mac". In that dialog box and the "More Info" area you should find the specs you need to know.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Sep 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have a MacBook 6.1, running Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Is this MacBook a good candidate for an upgrade to Lion (10.7)? Any notable pros and cons?
- Asked by Randall L from Newton
- Jan 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a MacBook 6.1, running Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Is this MacBook a good candidate for an upgrade to Lion (10.7)? Any notable pros and cons?)
- Asked about: Mac
Will this adapter work on a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?
- Asked by Stefan R from Bellevue
- Aug 3, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter work on a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…