can i upgrade from darwin to snow leopard
I have Darwin but i need Snow leopard to install software for work, can i upgrade straight away or do i need to go through the other software first?
- Asked by Lauren O
- Flag as inappropriate (can i upgrade from darwin to snow leopard)
1 Answer from the Community
Darwin is the open source UNIX software that forms the foundation of all OS X operating systems.
You don't need "Darwin" installed to install Snow Leopard. Make sure your Mac meets the minimum system requirements: Intel-based Mac with at least 1 GB of memory.
Install Snow Leopard to a fresh partition. Snow Leopard installer may need to reformat the partition. During the install, the installer will search other partitions for previous OS installations, and then ask if it should import OS Settings, Apps and Files from that partition. I know it will import from OS 10.4 or OS 10.5, but I am not sure about earlier OS installations.
If you don't import, you will end up with a clean install of OS 10.6.
All retail discs of Snow Leopard are capable of doing a clean install, even if they are sold as "upgrade" discs. For "upgrade" discs some extra steps may be needed to prepare the partition. Search the 'net for "How to do a clean install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6" by Tom Nelson.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
how do I buy upgrade to snow leopard
- Asked by Mary C from Newport Beach
- Apr 6, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (how do I buy upgrade to snow leopard)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
is the upgrade from snow leopard to lion free?
- Asked by Philip S from Cincinnati
- Oct 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (is the upgrade from snow leopard to lion free?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
Can I upgrade my G4 to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Peggy C from Collierville
- Dec 28, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I upgrade my G4 to Leopard or Snow Leopard?)
- Asked about: Mac