Can the desktop or Keynote be projected (not just videos or photos)?
I would like to use the iPad for presentations.
- Asked by Larry K from Vestal
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the desktop or Keynote be projected (not just videos or photos)?)
10 Answers from the Community
First, it is important to understand that with this adapter you are connecting a 2nd display to your iPad. From this point it is up to the app developer to decide if and what will be displayed on this 2nd display when you launch the app.
At this time, the following apps will use the 2nd display:
- keynote - when you shown a presentation
- video - when you play a video
- Photos - when you run a photo slideshow
- Youtube - when you play a youtube video
In all these cases the 2nd display will show the object when you start playing it.
Other apps can follow and offer their support for a 2nd display using this connector since this is part of the iPhoneOS SDK.
As you can understand there is NO mirroring of the iPad primary display.
- Answered by Yossef M from Brookline
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, if you use an app. Well, not your desktop, but a wide variety of document formats, yes.
I'm trying out Projector, Expedition, and Web2VGA, and they all let me import documents (eg PDF, Word, Excel, etc) to show as a presentation. The latter two will also show live browsing on the Internet.
Also, these apps mirror the display on your iPad, which is more than Keynote's built-in VGA-out function does! (Yes, you can present directly from Keynote.)
They also give you a "laser pointer" just by pressing and holding on your screen for a moment, then sliding your finger around to the spots you want to highlight!
I think my new iPad, VGA adapter, VGA-to-VGA extension cable, and these apps, give me an amazing mobile presentation kit!
- Answered by Erin-anne B from Surrey
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Keynote works, it just turns your iPad into a big clicker and if you hold your finger down a red laser pointer will show up on the screen. You won't be able to see the slides on your ipad while you present though. This isn't a problem for me but it may be for some people.
I don't know if you can project anything else if you have the keyboard dock though. I will have to test it out.
One big disappointment is that the netflix app doesn't output to video to vga like YouTube does.
- Answered by Kevin G from Hudson
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Not the desktop, just Keynote slides. However, please note that Keynote for iPad is also very limited, such as not supporting notes!
- Answered by Elias M from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Took it to class last Tuesday and the desktop is not projected. Selected Apps have enabled projection (YouTube, etc) but otherwise just a blank video screen.
- Answered by David S from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
I don't know about Keynote but I assume Apple would support their own app. I can tell you that it does not mirror whatever's on the screen. Each app has to enable that feature on its own. Very disappointing for those of us to need to do general presentations and demos.
- Answered by Todd O from Draper
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
The desktop cannot the projected at this time. Keynote slides will project and look good.
- Answered by Michael R from Frisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
Yes Keynote works with this. As far as I can tell, only videos, photos and Keynote work with it.
- Answered by Lee S from Cranford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 8
Keynotes and some other apps can be.
- Answered by Harmanna V from Tring
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 9
Add iThoughtsHD to the list. This is a great mind mapping app for presenting and facilitating workshops.
- Answered by Michael C from Loveland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 10
can we click photos with it ?
- Asked by Osho J
- Mar 11, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can we click photos with it ?)
- Asked about: GoPro HERO4 Black Edition Camera
No answers yet
Can a presentation created in Keynote (on a macbook) be separately 'loaded' onto apple TV and played?
- Asked by Samir K from Oakville
- Apr 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a presentation created in Keynote (on a macbook) be separately 'loaded' onto apple TV and played?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
can you use this with the DVD drive in order to project movies, as well as use it with KeyNote Presentations?
- Asked by Kalaya L from Bainsville
- Jul 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use this with the DVD drive in order to project movies, as well as use it with KeyNote Presentations?)
- Asked about: Bēm Kickstand Portable Projector