Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?
If I buy the Airport Express Base station will it replace the airport card which was removed from my Imac as it was causing problem and let me use the Wifi. At the moment I am using a wired connection to me modem.
I am running OS 10.6.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): CK62106MU2S
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB861618
- Asked by Paul R
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
3 Answers from the Community
Well if you connect it say using the Ethernet cable directly then yes, you mac will assign an address, you can expect the modem and apex to work together. Actually it should perform better than regular apex card
- Answered by Keneth W
- Jun 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Express base station is bi directional. Just set up the station to extend a network and plug your cable between the station NIC and your machine.
- Answered by John G from Kurrajong Hills
- Jun 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Hello. Unfortunately, the Airport Express will not replace your Airport card that wasn't functioning correctly. The Airport card inside an Apple computer is the wireless adapter. This product is a router and is plugged into your network by an Ethernet cable. The Airport Exress will allow you to have a wireless connection for your devices. If you are looking for a replacement Airport card for your Mac internally, take it to an Apple store and ask the genius bar if it can be replaced. If not, shop for an external USB wireless adapter. While shopping for the USB adapter, check to make sure the device is supported within OS X. I hope this helps. Good luck.
- Answered by Aaron B from Lititz
- Jun 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can you use this with airport express?
- Asked by John B from Hickory
- Jun 5, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this with airport express?)
- Asked about: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
What is the difference between the Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station and the new Airport Extreme?
- Asked by K.c. P from Jacksonville
- Jun 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between the Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station and the new Airport Extreme?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Does the AirPort Time Capsule function as an AirPort base station, in addition to wireless storage? Does Airport Extreme have additional features?
- Asked by Michael M from Princeton
- Jun 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule function as an AirPort base station, in addition to wireless storage? Does Airport Extreme have additional features?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB