Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?
My landlord's wireless router is only 802.11b, whilst this is okay for their internet access (which is only 4Mbps) it means that when I am trying to use home sharing on Apple TV the connection is really bad. Can I attach this by ethernet cable to the existing router and stream from iTunes on my MacBook Air to Apple TV at a much faster rate or will the wireless network it creates be restricted by the internet download speed?
- Asked by David G
- Dec 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?)
1 Answer from the Community
With any network (wireless or hard wired), the whole system is only as fast as the slowest part as it acts like a bottle neck.
In your case, if the music or show is already downloaded onto your Mac, then it sounds like you may be on your limits distance wise from the router and it is cutting in and out. If signal strength is good, and you are streaming, then adding the Express won't change anything.
To check this out before splashing out your hard earned money, hard wire your components utilising a LAN cable (CAT5 or similar) and if it is improved, then it is the wireless network that is acting as the weak point.
Short answer, if streaming and hard wired you still have issues, then Express won't do anything for you. If it is good, buy it as it will help. My thoughts without knowing exact details, upgrade the internet plan.
- Answered by Peter C from Swanbourne
- Mar 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
My television's HDMI ports are full. Can I connect Apple tv to my television through a HDMI hub?
- Asked by Richard W from Carp
- Nov 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (My television's HDMI ports are full. Can I connect Apple tv to my television through a HDMI hub?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
can I connect my mac book pro to HDMI ready television?
- Asked by Lynda C
- Sep 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect my mac book pro to HDMI ready television?)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to HDMI Cable 1.8 m
Will I have any problems using my Apple TV with a Hisense Brand television that is Android based?
- Asked by Chad T from Edwards
- Aug 25, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I have any problems using my Apple TV with a Hisense Brand television that is Android based?)
- Asked about: Apple TV