Can it(airport base station) convert a 3G USB modem to wifi?
- Asked by Emmanuel A
- Jun 25, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it(airport base station) convert a 3G USB modem to wifi?)
2 Answers from the Community
I have the old AirPort Express, and I can (using personal hotspot) wirelessly tether my iPhone 4, and send the signal through my house. I have nothing plugged into the AirPort Express, and it works amazing. I think your question relates to using the USB port on the AirPort Express. My guess is "no".
Now, for those of you wondering why I don't simply use my personal hotspot iPhone 4 as the router and disregard the AirPort Express? The reason is because the iPhone 4 drops any connected devices after a few minutes of inactivity. With the 'pulsing' ping of the Airport Express, it stays connected all of the time. For anyone who wishes to do the same, keep in mind that the AirPort Express counts as a device connection. When I turn-on my whole system, 3 devices appear as 3 connections on my "Personal Hotspot" banner. One is the Airport Express, another is my MacBook Pro, and the third is my wireless printer. There is a maximum of 3 devices that can be connected by wifi using the setup that I'm using. When I need to connect my Apple TV, I just turn-off the printer to free-up a device.
- Answered by Jason S from Barrie
- Jul 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
If the modem provides internet connection via a USB cable, this configuration will not unfortunately work. The Airport Express is only configured to receive connectivity to the internet via its ethernet WAN port.
- Answered by Jackson T from Peterborough
- Jun 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can the Zeppelin Air be used as a WiFi base station Like an Airport Express?
- Asked by Brian B from Santa Cruz
- Mar 22, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Zeppelin Air be used as a WiFi base station Like an Airport Express?)
- Asked about: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air Speak…
Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick
- Asked by Eric P from Beverly Hills
- Jun 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
No answers yet