Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- May 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
1 Answer from the Community
I'm faced with the same dilemma, as my 802.11g Airport Express suffers from many drop-outs due to multiple interference on the 2.4Ghz band by microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors and the like. Been kind of holding off till the new 802.11ac was implemented across the board by APPLE. More on that in a minute.
The APPLE tv obviously does a lot more in the entertainment arena thru it's ability to stream all your iTunes content to your TV, in addition to NETFLIX, VIMEO, YouTube, hockey and baseball games, etc, etc. But it does not support wireless printing; no USB port. To get the audio from your iTunes music library to your main Stereo, you'd either need an HDMI splitter, HDMI 1.4 with ARC (audio return channel), an HDMI AV receiver, or purchase a Toslink optical audio cable to go directly from the APPLE tv to your Stereo system.
The current version of the APPLE tv still uses 802.11n. While that is plenty for music streaming, the advantage of 802.11ac would be, no possible slowdown of the entire network by one slower link in the chain, as well as being ready for when 4k video streams become more commonplace.
I'm waiting to see if APPLE will update the Airport Express as well as the APPLE tv to the new ac standard. If not in the near future, I'll buy the Express, as at the moment I just want to be able to stream my iTunes library to my main Stereo, and I won't have to shell out for the optical cable. In addition, it'll buy more time to see where APPLE is headed with their APPLE tv "hobby". But for 99 bucks, you can't go wrong either way.
- Answered by Michael V from Barrie
- Jun 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
How do I configure my Airport Express for Apple TV
- Asked by Ronald C. W from Summerville
- Aug 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I configure my Airport Express for Apple TV)
- Asked about: Apple TV
Do I still need to have the Airport Express or Apple TV on my network with this type of speaker?
- Asked by Tom D from New York
- Nov 20, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I still need to have the Airport Express or Apple TV on my network with this type of speaker?)
- Asked about: Philips Fidelio SoundRing Portable …
Can an airport express or apple tv connected to a tv be used as a display to remotely view a mac mini located in an different area of a home.
- Asked by Andrew M from Prairieville
- Mar 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can an airport express or apple tv connected to a tv be used as a display to remotely view a mac mini located in an different area of a home.)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…