Will the Adapter Make the Laptop Screen go Blank?
I want the screen image to display on the screen of my Early 2011 MacBook Pro, as well as on whatever I plug into the adapter. Will it do this?
- Asked by Linda R from Ridgefield
- May 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Adapter Make the Laptop Screen go Blank?)
2 Answers from the Community
I am new to apple (migrated from a PC to iMac about 2-3 weeks ago).
Purchased a Mini DisplayPort Adapter for DVI only because the store did not have a HDMI adapter.
Hooking up the adapter between the iMac and my 23" external display was very easy. The iMac display configuration was also easy. The system did an excellent job of determining the best resolution for the external display.
I chose not to "mirror" the two displays (what shows on the primary display also shows on the other). I like to bring up a window of what I want shown and then drag that window to the external display presentation area for viewing. That way, if I have notes or something else I want to do it does not show up on the external display. Works very well if you are giving a presentation and want to bring up key notes, document questions and answers during your presentation, or look up something on the web during a presentation.
I believe your MacBook Pro will operate in a very similar manner as an iMac. Please check with a staff member at your local Apple store. They will be able to clarify your MacBook Pro display capabilities and make configuration recommendations to best suit your needs.
I hope this information helped you.
- Answered by Greg R from Galena
- Jun 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes & No.
You need to use the "mirroring" option in the System Preferences>Display settings to achieve what you are describing.
This will "mirror" everything you see on the MacBook display onto the external display.
Often the very first time you connect the adapter, the MacBook screen will go blank, while it determines the best output resolution. The MacBook display should then re-activate, unless you have set it to output only.
- Answered by Rodney L from Corryton
- Jun 25, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is there a connection that I can make with a Apple laptop to a bigger screen in my office
- Asked by Toni K from Hudson Oaks
- Jul 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a connection that I can make with a Apple laptop to a bigger screen in my office)
- Asked about: Mac
I need what's on my Macbook pro screen to be playing over multiple televisions, How can I make this happen?
- Asked by Dennis F from Columbia
- Apr 22, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (I need what's on my Macbook pro screen to be playing over multiple televisions, How can I make this happen?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Which laptop is best for a student going to college completely online?
- Asked by Danielle W from San Jose
- Oct 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Which laptop is best for a student going to college completely online?)
- Asked about: Mac