How do I get sound output from the TV (and not the laptop) when I connect my MacBook Air to a TV using Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter?
When I connect my late 2010 13" MacBook Air using the Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter to my Samsung 19" TV or to my View Sonic monitor the display is just fine but the sound keeps coming out of the laptop and not the TV. I have tried the sound settings in System Preferences but the Output menu doesn't show any device attached, just the internal speakers.
3 Answers from the Community
The VGA cable does not carry audio, you must have a separate audio cable.
- Answered by Robert M from Menifee
- Nov 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
VGA only carries video.
The head phone jack on the laptop will carry the sound. Where you hooked the VGA on the back of your TV should be a sound in input next to it. In may be RCA or the same as the laptop headphone plug. (I can't remember the name of that plug.)
Like all TVs. There's inputs one, two, three, etc.... Each input can serve HDMI, RCA, Super-S. Most all new Flat TVs carry a computer hook-up as well in the form of VGA or HDMI etc.... Look close at those inputs and you will see the needed plugs to make them work.
- Answered by Donald B from Portland
- Nov 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Thanks a lot for the advice. It just hadn't occurred to me because before purchasing this adapter for Mac I had only used HDMI cables on my PC which did not require any additional audio cord. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Thanks!
- Answered by Sanjay Kumar S
- Aug 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
My television's HDMI ports are full. Can I connect Apple tv to my television through a HDMI hub?
- Asked by Richard W from Carp
- Nov 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (My television's HDMI ports are full. Can I connect Apple tv to my television through a HDMI hub?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
can I use apple tv to extend / duplicate my macbook display onto the television?
- Asked by Pavan R from Melbourne
- Sep 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use apple tv to extend / duplicate my macbook display onto the television?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
I don’t want to buy a new television, but want to be able to use my Toshiba Color Television ColorStream 35A41 with today’s new technology. Is this
- Asked by Marlene V from Holgate
- Dec 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I don’t want to buy a new television, but want to be able to use my Toshiba Color Television ColorStream 35A41 with today’s new technology. Is this)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to HDMI Cable 1.8 m