Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?
- Asked by Holly B from Grand Forks
- Oct 20, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?)
2 Answers from the Community
No, it's converting in the wrong direction. This is to connect a monitor that requires a DVI-DL connect (most 30" displays) to a machine that only has Mini DisplayPort output (all recent Mac laptops, MacMini, and iMacs).
You may not need an adaptor depending on what video card is in the MacPro -- is there a small not-quite square port on the video card, besides the larger DVI connector? Wikipedia has pictures of what MiniDisplay Port looks like. If you have that port, you'll be able to connect new Apple displays without an adaptor.
Gefen and Altona both make DVI to Mini Display Port converters, but it a quick search didn't find them on Apple's site -- you might need to try Amazon or some other store.
- Answered by Joseph H from Upper Marlboro
- Jan 26, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
A dual link adapter is supposed to allow you to drive two (2) DVI monitors from a Y cable. Both monitors would be seeing the same video - a mirror of video images on the two displays. This is useful when you need to drive a monitor and a project at the same time from a single mini-display port. However if you don't need to drive two monitors, you should be able to use lower cost adapters or cables that convert a mini display port to DVI output. Apple's graphic cards for the MAC Pros now have both a mini display port and a DVI port. You could just as well upgrade your graphics card to an ATI GT120 for example that has both.
- Answered by Bill A from Mission Viejo
- Dec 18, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
WANT TO CONNECT NEW MACBOOK PRO TO 30" CINEMA DISPLAY. WHICH ADAPTOR?
- Asked by David S from New York
- Dec 16, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (WANT TO CONNECT NEW MACBOOK PRO TO 30" CINEMA DISPLAY. WHICH ADAPTOR?)
- Asked about: Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
How do I connect a 2011 27" LED cinema to a MACPRO with DVI port (2007)
- Asked by Diego G from Pompano Beach
- May 5, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect a 2011 27" LED cinema to a MACPRO with DVI port (2007))
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Is there an adaptor available to go from DVI dual Link to Mini display port? In other words, can I connect 3 Cinema Displays to this card?
- Asked by Cory M from Calgary
- Apr 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there an adaptor available to go from DVI dual Link to Mini display port? In other words, can I connect 3 Cinema Displays to this card?)
- Asked about: NVIDIA Quadro K5000 GPU for Mac