Does the Mini DisplayPort on the new 13" MacBook Pro (OCT '09) put out an audio signal as well as the video signal, or is it 'video-out' only?
I Need to connect my new 13" MacBook Pro to 32" Philips HDTV. I have Apple Bluetooth wireless/keyboard. I hope to use the MacBook as a desktop with the display closed, using the Philips HDTV for display and audio. My TV has 3 HDMI ports and 1 USB 2.0 port.
Online AppleStore salesperson told me that for the VIDEO signal I needed an adapter to convert the Mac's Mini DisplayPort to DVI, then plug into a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on other, to then plug into the TV's HDMI port. To get AUDIO signal from the Mac to the TV she told me I needed a "Y" cable to plug into the Mac's 'Audio-out' Headphones Jack. Said without this cable the TV's speakers wouldn't work, and I'd only get sound from the MacBook Pro's built-in speakers.
Descriptions for HDMI cables at several online stores claimed they were all-in-one cables carrying both video and audio signals. Will the HDMI cable do everything, or do I still need the "Y" cable from the Mac's headphone jack to power the TV speakers?
- Asked by J. Todd M from East Haven
- Oct 22, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Mini DisplayPort on the new 13" MacBook Pro (OCT '09) put out an audio signal as well as the video signal, or is it 'video-out' only?)
2 Answers from the Community
yes you need that cable (audio) in order to hear from your TV with out it only from your macbook pro i am using the exact way you mention with my sony 50" TV and is perfect
- Answered by Johnnie T from Mission
- Feb 5, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Right. Some TV's do have HDMI inputs with separate audio inputs (for this very reason i'm assuming), but more than likely - you'd need to have the laptop run audio separately to a stereo receiver in order to make it happen. Hope this helps!
- Answered by Brian K from Minneapolis
- Dec 2, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I want to connect my MacBook Pro (Brand New) to my Receiver through hdmi to receive audio & video signals at same time 1 cord and get audio/video ??
- Asked by R B from Phoenix
- Feb 13, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (I want to connect my MacBook Pro (Brand New) to my Receiver through hdmi to receive audio & video signals at same time 1 cord and get audio/video ??)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Does this fit the new (Oct 2013) macbook pro 13"?
- Asked by Rachel R
- Oct 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this fit the new (Oct 2013) macbook pro 13"?)
- Asked about: Speck 13" SmartShell Case for MacBo…
Thunderbolt port to mini-Displayport via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable
- Asked by Andrew M from Darien
- Jan 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt port to mini-Displayport via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…