i want to mount a 27" imac into my big rig. be able to use as computer, dvd player with a in motion sat system for dish1 tv. will this work.
Has this been done, what will I need(power converter) to make this happen?.
Please help. thx
- Asked by Richard J from Mattoon
- Mar 21, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (i want to mount a 27" imac into my big rig. be able to use as computer, dvd player with a in motion sat system for dish1 tv. will this work.)
1 Answer from the Community
I have not run one in a big rig, but I do use a big iMac as my primary TV and it works well. A standard 120 volt inverter will power the unit - if you wish to hook it up directly to your rig's DC power it will take some work so I'd just buy an inverter and be done. I believe people do make wall mounts for iMacs; you can remove the little stand it sits on and bolt it right to the wall, if you know someone who's handy with that kind of thing. And finally, unless your sat system is built to direct-connect to a computer, it'll most likely require a TV tuner card such as EyeTV, which is a $100+ add-on... (Bonus: EyeTV cards come with DVR software, so you can pause and rewind live TV and record shows and such, no monthly fee. The EyeTV software is clunky and a little hard to use, but it works.)
Of course, there's always more than one way to do it. Another way of doing this: get any flat screen TV with the correct inputs, plug the sat into one input and a Mac Mini into another input. It'll be cheaper, and you'll get less geek cred but it's a more straightforward way to do basically the same job.
Sounds like a fun project, either way. Enjoy!
- Answered by Samuel G from Seattle
- Apr 9, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Want to be able to use cd and DVD with the iMac
- Asked by Shirley S from Sacramento
- May 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Want to be able to use cd and DVD with the iMac)
- Asked about: Sanus Swivel Column Clamp Mount VMD…
I want to get an iMac for the big display but don't want to regret the portability.
- Asked by Christian L from East Greenwich
- Jun 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I want to get an iMac for the big display but don't want to regret the portability.)
- Asked about: Mac
Will this work with my mid 2010 27" iMac?
- Asked by Richard L from Columbia
- Aug 21, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with my mid 2010 27" iMac?)
- Asked about: Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Ada…