what is the connection for on the right side of the large keyboard?
- Asked by Derek S from Frisco
- Feb 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the connection for on the right side of the large keyboard?)
4 Answers from the Community
There are two USB 2.0 ports on the sides of the keyboard. They don't have much power (500 mA for the first connection, and 100 mA for the second, assuming you plug the keyboard directly into an 1100 mA USB port on one of the newer macs) but they are great for plugging in mice and memory sticks without having to reach around to the back side of an iMac.
Some of the answers mention charging iPads and running external hard drives off the keyboard's USB ports. I wouldn't recommend that. Your iPad will charge MUCH faster when plugged directly into the higher-powered ports on your Mac, and plugging in a power-hungry external hard drive can overload the keyboard, causing it to shut down. At that point you'll have to unplug the whole keyboard and plug it back in again to get it working again. Keep high-powered items to your regular USB ports, and save these easy access ports for memory sticks and the like.
- Answered by Jonathan S from Newport Beach
- Nov 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The 2 connectors are USB ports where you can plug in a variety of peripheral devices such as a mouse, an external HDD, or even your iPhone or iPad to both synch data, and charge them as well.
- Answered by Mark L from Mineral Bluff
- Oct 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
There are two USB ports on the right & left sides.
- Answered by Charles E from Evans
- Mar 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
It's for plugging in a USB wired mouse cable.
- Answered by David W from Sunnyvale
- Mar 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Does the British keyboard have a large shift key on the left side (next to the Z key) or a small L.H. shift key with another key between it + the Z?
- Asked by David C
- Oct 21, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the British keyboard have a large shift key on the left side (next to the Z key) or a small L.H. shift key with another key between it + the Z?)
- Asked about: Apple Wireless Keyboard - English
which mac is right for me? i need it for travelling, web surfing, large storage, and for some apps.
- Asked by Chander Bajaj B from Chandigarh
- Sep 3, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (which mac is right for me? i need it for travelling, web surfing, large storage, and for some apps.)
- Asked about: Mac