what is a TTY adapter
- Asked by Michael L from Philadelphia
- Oct 16, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (what is a TTY adapter)
2 Answers from the Community
TTY is an abbreviation for TeleTypewriter. It's a device used by the deaf to "text" messages across an analog telephone line. These days, text messaging has just about obsoleted the device however it remains well-suited to the task.
Because the TTY was originally designed for an analog phone system it worked very much like an analog modem; converting "text" into "sounds" that were then re-interpreted back into text at the receiver's end. Both parties of the conversation would have to have a TTY machine.
This adapter allows a person to connect a TTY machine to the "analog" audio input and output of the phone.
- Answered by Eric P from Dunedin
- Nov 24, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
A TTY is a special device that lets people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or speech-impaired use the telephone to communicate, by allowing them to type messages back and forth to one another instead of talking and listening. A TTY is required at both ends of the conversation in order to communicate.
- Answered by Eric S
- Jan 7, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
will this adapter work with srs adapter
- Asked by Anthony S
- Dec 16, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (will this adapter work with srs adapter)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m)
No answers yet
does it have an adapter for brazil?
- Asked by Jr C from Caldwell
- Oct 8, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (does it have an adapter for brazil?)
- Asked about: Apple World Travel Adapter Kit